Wampus cooked a BLUDAWG brisket!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK....2 actually.

Made a special trip to RD this morning.
Picked up 2 Choice CAB briskets.
Looked at each brisket in the whole case. Average weight was about 15 lbs.
I chose the 2 most limber briskets available. Both were about the same size.
1 was 12.96 lbs, 1 was 12.25 lbs.

Went to inject them and discovered that both of my injectors were screwed up. SO, no injection.

I rubbed the larger one of them with KC's rub (modded for brisket - halved the brn sugar).
Rubbed the smaller one with a good layer of kosher salt, a medium layer of both granulated garlic and onion and finished with a decent layer of coarse ground black pepper.

Fired up the UDS and the BGE and set up with a drip pan in each.
I was PLANNING (hoping) to have some drippings for au jus. This was a waste of effort.

Here's how it went down.

Fired the pits at about 10:30 am.
Used KBB in the UDS and RO lump in the BGE.
I used about a 3-1 ratio of mesquite-oak for smoke wood.
Both were higher than 300 when I put the briskets on.

Both briskets:

PB240005_zpsd999eafe.jpg

PB240007_zps570ef2f3.jpg

Untrimmed:

PB240014_zps7656eb7f.jpg

Trimmed about 3 3/4 lbs of fat off of both briskets total.
POST TRIMMED weight was 11 1/4 lb and 10 1/4 lbs.

Trimmed:

PB240016_zpscc27450f.jpg

Rubbed:

PB240019_zps808ca61b.jpg

KC's Rub......

PB240021_zps9674f7a9.jpg

S.P.G.O......

PB240020_zpsb24d2013.jpg

S&P on the BGE:

PB240023_zps12a5a5a3.jpg

KC's on the UDS:

PB240022_zpsbf1dc3eb.jpg

The BGE thermo is getting weird on me so I've been using a couple of turkey fryer thermos....

PB240030_zps3c31474b.jpg

UDS temp....rock solid...

PB240029_zpsb866679d.jpg

Rollin.

PB240028_zpsdd5b7292.jpg

Meat went on the pits at high noon.

No looky, no peaky.

4 pm sharp:

S&P....

PB240032_zps70beba70.jpg

PB240033_zps791c936e.jpg

KC's....

PB240034_zpse2baca18.jpg

PB240036_zps089831ca.jpg

Wrapped with butcher paper and back on the pits.

I happened to check the S&P brisket when I wrapped just because I was curious. It was about 175 IT

at 5:00, the S&P (smaller one) was done.
at 5:30, KC's (the larger one) was done.

Both went into the kitchen to rest on the counter while I made up some mashed taters and saute'd up some green beans.....

PB240037_zpsd8a37c44.jpg

After about an hour rest, the sides were done and I was ready to slice. One brisket was at about 140 IT and one was about 145 IT.

The KC's rubbed brisket...

PB240038_zps59a53091.jpg

sliced....

PB240039_zpsf6f32d62.jpg

Salt/pepper/garlic/onion....

PB240043_zpseb02a89c.jpg

Both were real juicy....

PB240042_zps1de1436a.jpg

DINNER!!!!

PB240044_zps3fe30b89.jpg

PB240045_zpsb78221f0.jpg

After everyone tasted each, I believe most all liked the S&P the best.
Originally, right on the board, both were incredible. Juicy, flavorful, great bark. On the table, with a side-by-side taste test, the "BBQ Rubbed" brisket seemed too, well......"BBQ'y". The sweeter touch to the rub just didn't work as good as the simplicity complementary flavor of the S&P.

Don't get me wrong.....both were good.
I just think I'm probably gonna do the S&P with garlic & onion at home from now on. No sugar for my brisket.

The drip pans were pretty toasted and didn't yield any drippings ofr au jus so I whipped one up witn EVOO, onion, worschy, garlic, white wine and beef broth and used that to both pour over the briskets in the pans after slicing as well as evenly distribute into the vacuum seal bags for proper reheating.

After dinner, I bagged up all the leftovers.
I put both of the points in one big bag. I'll chill them overnight in the fridge and cube both and revac seal for the freezer for BRISKET CHILI.
Ended up with 6 packages at 1 lb each.

PB240046_zps5bf396a4.jpg

Can't see why I'll do my briskets any other way honestly.
We do them like this (at 300) for comps but for some reason at home I'm always taking 10-12 hours for my briskets. Silliness I tell ya!

It was so awesome to crawl out of bed when I wanted, drink my coffee, even run to the store, put the meat on and have it in time for dinner. Awesome.

That right there is a thing of beauty! Thanks for sharing! PM my address for delivery if you please!
Jed

Mighty fine looking briskets Wampus. You eluded to hoping for some drippings and that it didnt work out. I can never get enough drippings from brisket. By the way, that is one of the ugliest UDS's I've ever seen, that's AWESOME:thumb:

LOVE the camo theme!!! Dude you could put that smoker in the brush and it'd be invisible...love it:clap2:

Oh the brisky looks good too ;)

Mighty fine looking briskets Wampus. You eluded to hoping for some drippings and that it didnt work out. I can never get enough drippings from brisket. By the way, that is one of the ugliest UDS's I've ever seen, that's AWESOME:thumb:

Yeah, in competition, we get drippings by putting the briskets in a pan after foiling, but the foil will usually hold a BUNCH of drippings for au jus.

For the "bludawg style", though, the longer time UNwrapped and the paper doesn't hold as much.

Here's the recipe I used to make up a quick au jus without drippings....

Glad it worked out for you they look great I don't like Sweet on beef either.

That's some fancy cooking and posting there Wamp - love it! :clap2:

Good to see ya brother. :thumb:

Is that a wrap on the UDS?

Nope.

It's a stainless steel drum.
When I got it I didn't really need to but I did a good burn in it anyway, which sort of "blued" the bottom.
I used a wire wheel on my drill to clean it up and did sort of a flame pattern on the bottom (left the dark) and rubbed out the top and space between the flames.

Don't know if it turned out to look much like flames, but with the lid drippings over the years, I'd sure call it "BBQ camo" now. :thumb: :becky:

Delicious. No sweet for me on beef either.

I need to do a bludawg brisket soon.

They both look great. Glad they turned out so well. Are those pans out of my warmer? They work well for large meat prep. What's up with the BGE thermo? If it were still mine, I'd replace it if it were bonkers.

Welcome to the club of H&F all the time

those look great

Back