Ribs.... Wrap or not?

Well, I can tell you that for me personally, I used to ALWAYS foil when I cooked on WSM's... I DID NOT want too, and I tried without numerous times, but I was NEVER as happy with the end result as when I foiled. That all changed last month when I sold my 22.5 WSM and bought a Pit Barrel Cooker (I am not trying to sell a PBC, just sharing my experience)... I had been convinced by a good number of people that I wouldn't have to foil on a PBC... I tried it, and was blown away! The "toothpick test" is really what shocked me... I popped a TP into the slabs of baby-backs that were just finishing up only to have TONS of juice come squirting out. They were outstanding, and for me, the first unfoiled ribs that I personally have ever been super proud to serve :)

So my question to those who love the end result of their unfoiled ribs... What was I doing wrong on my WSM? If I had to guess, I would say that I was not cooking them hot-n-fast enough...like 290-310 degrees? The common thing that I am starting to see is those that foil are cooking low-n-slow, and those that do not foil are cooking hot-n-fast... Could there be any truth there???

So my question to those who love the end result of their unfoiled ribs... What was I doing wrong on my WSM? If I had to guess, I would say that I was not cooking them hot-n-fast enough...like 290-310 degrees?

Could be. I wonder what the results in the WSM would be if you took out the water pan and cooked hotter. It would be closer to the cooking environment of the PBC.

The common thing that I am starting to see is those that foil are cooking low-n-slow, and those that do not foil are cooking hot-n-fast...

I don't think that's really the case. I cook at 270 for ribs whether I foil or not (but I don't know if that is low and slow or hot and fast. Maybe half-fast? :-D)

Last edited:
Do you apply ANY seasoning to your ribs?
If so, why?

Just curious.

TIM

DAWG,

I am sure you have been busy and missed this question.

You appear to be an expert on ribs, based on your posts.
So, since you say (and I agree) that it all about the meat--Do you use ANY seasonings or just cook them "naked"?

Inquiring minds want to know 8)

Thanks,

TIM

The best ribs I've ever made are hot and fast, not wrapped. I found this method on this site and it really changed my rids. They are glorious.

I still haven't figure out what ranges people are referring to when they say HnF and what they mean when they say LnS. It seems to vary from person to person. It would probably be more helpful if people gave the temperature range they are referring to. For example, I tend to cook just about everything in the 250-275 range. To some, 250 is considered LnS, to some, 275 is considered HnF.

I still haven't figure out what ranges people are referring to when they say HnF and what they mean when they say LnS. It seems to vary from person to person. It would probably be more helpful if people gave the temperature range they are referring to. For example, I tend to cook just about everything in the 250-275 range. To some, 250 is considered LnS, to some, 275 is considered HnF.
My opinion is that it is determined by where our cooker wants to run. For me 250 deg is LnS, 350 deg is HnF.

I have had success both ways. Some people only foil to keep the ribs from getting to dark or oversmoking. I like them both ways. I will say that I do prefer BBs unwrapped. Not sure why, but they almost always turn out better, for me anyways.

Thank you for this post. I generally wrap my ribs but I think this thread has talked me out of it. I have two racks of STL's on with a spatchcocked chicken. It has been a long time since I have went aunatural on my ribs. Plus I am really comfy on the couch watching the football game. And being lazy..

I vary what I do based on who I'm cooking for. I, like Ron, wrap at competition. When I'm out in Texas at my parents house I cook a dry rib. Here in Cali I cook both a dry and a wet rib. It all depends on taste preference

I've had very good results by foiling my pork ribs. :)
I tried not foiling them a couple of times, and was not happy with how they came out. :(
I am going to try not foiling again, just to see if I can get them to come out good. I like a challenge. :D

Bob

Last edited:
Foiled, not foiled, wet, dry, skinned, not skinned, hot, fast, low, slow.....

It's all out there. I wouldn't recommend deciding what the best way is until you've tried them all and decide what you like best.

It's about like trying to argue the beans/no beans/noodles/no noodles with chili debate IMHO.

thank you for this post. I generally wrap my ribs but i think this thread has talked me out of it. I have two racks of stl's on with a spatchcocked chicken. It has been a long time since i have went aunatural on my ribs. Plus i am really comfy on the couch watching the football game. And being lazy..

They didn't turn out bad.....I tried using an aluminum pan and grate to keep clean up easy and ended up having some weird taste.

20130106_190231.jpg

The best ribs I've ever made are hot and fast, not wrapped. I found this method on this site and it really changed my rids. They are glorious.

Any chance you able to post a link for that thread? Would love to read it and thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you apply ANY seasoning to your ribs?
If so, why?

Just curious.

TIM
Sorry the dam DSL line was on the fritz for a few hrs:mad2:
I do in fact season my ribs. I use a light coat of McCormicks Season salt, about 2 tbbl of my SC mustard sauce. and a light coating of a low salt low sugar rub. When I say light i mean you can still see the white fat through it plainly. or I use 50/50/25 K salt, 16 mesh BlkP and granulated garlic. and a thin vinegar sauce glaze( Similar to a Lex dip) 15 min before they come off

I smoke Ribs at 300° to 325°. (3.5 to 4 hrs aprox)
I don't wrap. I don't sauce until the last half hour.

I pull em when they will bend double...

I am sorry, didn't read alll the posts so I may be redundant and/or boring..
I have a Big Green Egg and I cook my ribs (not babybacks) 4 hours at 275 no foil. Give them a spritz every 15-30 mins with apple juice or your favorite moisterizer... Usually pretty perfect...

foiling ribs is a leftover step from the now defunct 3 2 1 cooking method.. sure you need to foil if you are going to subject those poor bones to 6 hours of low heat.

Cookin' at 275-300, no need to foil, spritz, mop, glaze.. let em rip till the sizzling gets quiet.

Back