Thread: Cornmeal mush.
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Not sure what you mean,must be regional.Grits down here.We do crumble up leftover cornbread and soak it in buttermilk,which makes it mushy.Good eats.
This is not exactly what I am talking about. As kids we would crumble it up for breakfast and put milk and sugar on it, if we heated it up we also put butter on it.

this is just 1 cup yellow cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt mixed into 1 cup cold water, then added to 3 cups boiling water boiled, cover and simmer on very low heat about 15 minutes. I coated a loaf pan with pam and poured it in then let set in fridge to firm up. Removed from pan and sliced it, fried it and put butter and syrup on it this time. I guess you could eat hot while still in the more fluid state and just put salt,pepper and butter on it as a side.

I guess you could compare it to a firm tofu with its own mild flavor. Me not being a fan of tofu I don't like to compare the two but that is the closest thing to it.
Dave

Thanks from:--->