marinades

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Questions for the experts.

Are marinates supposed to contain high amounts of salt? as in high, i mean enough to make the food flavorful. The reason i ask, i had a rotisserie chicken from walmart the other day, i think the lemon pepper one, it was good but somewhat salty. Im wondering if the marinate it or brine it. You could really tell it was lemon pepper because all threw the meat, it tasted like lemon pepper. i noticed some small holes in the chicken meat, i wonder if they mass inject them with a machine full of marinate or brine. haha

just wondering if any one knows how supermarkets make the rotisserie chickens and how to replicate it at home. thanks

Salt tenderizes and preserves, I think that's why the stores use it so heavily. I prefer to use my own marinades, but store bout is ok for last minute planning. The biggest thing is that its not your very own original.

I think store bought marinades do contain a lot of salt the home made ones are the best.............

thats what i thought. so if a marinade contains alot of salt, is that not like brining and marinading at the same time? or am i totally smokin somthin?

thanks

I will admit, that at times, the walmart lemon pepper rotiss chickens are pretty good.

thats what i thought. so if a marinade contains alot of salt, is that not like brining and marinading at the same time? or am i totally smokin somthin?

thanks

I will admit, that at times, the walmart lemon pepper rotiss chickens are pretty good.

Then I would suggest you buy one of these gas rotisseries:

6b90alpina_001.jpg

Then put the product in a plastic container under a heat lamp.

img_0365.jpg

i thought about doing that. so i went and bought electric ones that holds 4 chickens. I also have a nice one for the grill. Im just wondering the diff between brine and marinade and where the fine line is. when does a marinade become a brine type of thing. haha

brines are about the salt and or sugar. marinades are about oils and an acid usually vinegar, but somtimes citrus.

Gas rotisserie and Kirkland chicken

The chicken tastes great. I just wish that they'd give you an option for you to get one straight off the rotisserie to eat in the food court. After getting home, the skin is soft. :mad:

The chicken tastes great. I just wish that they'd give you an option for you to get one straight off the rotisserie to eat in the food court. After getting home, the skin is soft. :mad:

I think the plastic dome thing is responsible for soft skin.

When I was in college I worked for a while at the almost, now defunct Kenny Rogers Roasters (as seen on Seinfeld, and now almost only found in Asia)

All the chickens we roasted on the rotisseries over a live fire were all marinated heavily in big barrels... It was a very thin, citrus/garlic/pepper marinade that every one used to go crazy for.

Last edited:
so marinades can have salt in them right? or does that muff it all up. haha

yes saltis in almost every marinade just not even close to the amout in a brine

ok cool. i know that may have been a odd question to ask. I just wasnt sure where the line was drawn for how much salt a marinade can have before it is a brine.

Thanks

Im trying to find a great mojo crilio or however you spell it marinade. Tons of citrus, garlic and salt. mmmm citrus is the best

tahnks

i live in florida so it is pretty abundant. we find it in all the supermarkets here includeing walmart. might be hard to find. if you cant

equal parts of orange juice and grapefruit juice, maybe a quart of each
1/8 part cider vin
a good bit of minced garlic and onion.
ground tyme
ground sage
maybe 1/8 cup salt
and black pepper to taste "i put a lot"

let this marinade by its self about 2 days before putiing meat in it. marinade ribs chops and chicken about 4-6 hrs. if you strain some you can inject in a butt. its kickbutt

Back