Party or Fatboy?

Butt-A-Bing!

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all, we are getting a Backwoods soon. Looking for some advice on our decision. In a perfect world it would be a Fatboy no question. We use a travel trailer at comps. So the cooker has to be loaded in the back an Expedition. The party would be no problem loading. Fatboy would be tougher and since it is just my wife and I, and me with a bad shoulder we are concerned we will have trouble. Anyone have experience with both cookers full of comp. meats? Difference in results? Problems with airflow on a loaded party? Tough decision here. I've owned a Fatboy, so I know it pretty well.

So I'm guessing that you pull the travel trailer with the Expedition? I have my Fatboy mounted on a receiver hitch rack, makes it easier to load with 1 or 2 people.

Depending on your exact trailer, you might look into having a ramp built on the back bumper that it could roll on and off of. Kinda like for scooters and such.

You know the Fatboy is pretty darned heavy, but I can't imagine going smaller for comps if you plan to do ribs, pork, and briskets in it.
Hope to see you at a comp this year.

Just made this decision: Fatboy. Planned on the Party but after looking at it didn't think I could fit spares much less brisket packers. Also heard of some air flow issues with loaded up Partys but have never cooked on one personally.

If you want to use it just for baby backs and chicken it would be fine.

If you go Party look at the Extended Party. That 4 inches is really great to have if your going to cook multiple comp meats in there.

You know the Fatboy is pretty darned heavy, but I can't imagine going smaller for comps if you plan to do ribs, pork, and briskets in it.
Hope to see you at a comp this year.

Hey Chip. The extended party has the same cooking space. we will probably go with the fatboy however. They are almost the same exact price. I'll just have to get creative with it to get it in the Expedition.

my extended party is in town on the back of a truck. i liked the weight and the removable water pan. upgraded it a bit... woo-hoo!

The Party weighs 130 LBS, the Fatboy weighs 275 LBS. If you need to move it easily, I would go for the Party.

The Party weighs 130 LBS, the Fatboy weighs 275 LBS. If you need to move it easily, I would go for the Party.

If the standard Party is tight on space look at the Extended Party. It adds 4 inches of depth. The weight is much less than the Fatboy. On a hand truck they are very easy to move. We have 2 Partys, and a Chubby.

For the Party, you would have to trim a few bones off the spares to fit in a standard. Large briskets dont fit that well so I shoot for 10-12lb.ers. I cook all 4 meats in a party. You just have to put the meat on @8pm to have the pork & brisket off before ribs need to go on. You also want to make sure your ribs are wrapped before the chicken goes on.

I just slide it in the back of the van. I can say it does shorten the lifespan of the cooker and beats up the exterior. Mine is about to get retired. Its held together with foil tape.
Waiting on my new shipment of smokers to come in in May.

Also, dont forget about the Gater. Similar to a Fatboy but 3-4 inched deeper.

Since we have a bunch of BWS experts on this thread, I have a question for you. I need to load my fatboy into the back of my full size long bed pick up truck (F-350 dually). I was planning on getting a trailer, but the finances don't allow right now. I bought an appliance cart for moving it around, but it takes 2-4 guys to lift it in and out. I hate relying on others and prefer to be able to do things myself.

So, for you guys with Fatboys, do you think a ramp like this would work for loading into a truck like mine using an appliance cart? http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/69A2841A0A0.aspx

I am thinking it will be easy to get someone (like my wife) to help push if needed, but I won't need another adult male to help with one of these.

Huminie,
For that price you could damn near buy a small used trailer or have something made that goes into your hitch receiver. That ramp could spell trouble as soon as you're on unlevel surface or loading it after a comp and tired.

I hear you...but in either case, I still have to lift it up off the ground, requiring more people. After a contest I can always get a hand, but loading up to go is where I see the big benefit.

I am still exploring options, but lifting it in and out is already getting old.

Since we have a bunch of BWS experts on this thread, I have a question for you. I need to load my fatboy into the back of my full size long bed pick up truck (F-350 dually). I was planning on getting a trailer, but the finances don't allow right now. I bought an appliance cart for moving it around, but it takes 2-4 guys to lift it in and out. I hate relying on others and prefer to be able to do things myself.

So, for you guys with Fatboys, do you think a ramp like this would work for loading into a truck like mine using an appliance cart? http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/69A2841A0A0.aspx

I am thinking it will be easy to get someone (like my wife) to help push if needed, but I won't need another adult male to help with one of these.

Or you could get this permanently mount it, never have to lift it again, and it's cheaper. :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb...ailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

Back