• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber "Redhead" Appreciation Thread...

If you find old episodes of Dallas you can see multiple redhead gassers lined up on their patio. I will search for a pic.

ChickenonKettles001.jpg

Here's the family. I got my Red Head off of CL, for $20. The previous owner had used it for 1 year, then "upgraded to gas".

I've never seen a Redhead Weber charcoal grill for sale new. Do they still sell them?

Different subject but can one buy a replacement red lid for a 22" Weber? I built a UDS and have been watching/looking for a used 22" Weber so I could paint the lid red and use it on the UDS. So far no luck........but if I could purchase a new, red lid it would save me time and effort.

i know there was a red snap on cga for sale on ebay a few months? ago. but to much $$$.

I've found an old redhead with the otg style ash catcher and temp gage it's miles away from me but currently only 15 bucks

Added this 18" RedHead "Coors Light" model to my deck this past winter. Curb find being tossed into the trash, so I "rescued" it and cleaned it up a bit. Needed a new grate and a good scrubbing, but no rust, unlike the basket case of the 22.5" that I got last year. :shocked: Cooks some mean chicken, runs nice and hot for crisp skin and nice bark!

Weber18Inch-LilRed1sm.jpg

Well, she started out as a redhead, but the original owner lost the lid somewhere and replaced with a black lid... so I call her Ladybug... off CL for $20 last year.Sanded down, repainted the bowl and frame, replaced all the frame nuts/bolts, and polished up with Bar Keeper's Friend.

Attachments

• finished performer.jpg
    finished performer.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 341
I'm here to put and end to this obviously racist thread. :mod:

Last edited:
Well, she started out as a redhead, but the original owner lost the lid somewhere and replaced with a black lid... so I call her Ladybug... off CL for $20 last year.Sanded down, repainted the bowl and frame, replaced all the frame nuts/bolts, and polished up with Bar Keeper's Friend.

What kind of red paint did you use for the bowl? I used some high temp paint on the bowl of one of my kettles but it burned right off. I think it was only good up to 600 degrees or so. The very high temp paint (like 1200 degrees) seems like its not glossy. Ladybug looks great, would love to know what you used.

What kind of red paint did you use for the bowl? I used some high temp paint on the bowl of one of my kettles but it burned right off. I think it was only good up to 600 degrees or so. The very high temp paint (like 1200 degrees) seems like its not glossy. Ladybug looks great, would love to know what you used.

We might have used the same one. I used DupliColor Engine Red ( I think). It also peeled off on the side where I usually bank my coals. I applied several coats, interspersed with layers of VHT (which is rated to 1200F I think, but not glossy. There was another red by Krylon which was a bbq high heat paint but I could not source it in Houston or on the internet for a decent price.

And I think its time we ran that blue kettle out of this thread, on the grounds that the poster doesn't know that r-e-d does not spell blue :becky:

Just added a couple more freebies to the "project pile"! A Redhead 1000 and a rare 25+ year old Genesis Jr!

IMG_5230.jpg

IMG_5229.jpg

Got a call last week on my VM from a guy that tracked me down from a "BBQ Blog" online asking if I was interested in hauling off the Jr? Hauling off his junk grill I thought, but was surprised to find a well cared for and decent little 2 burner Redhead! This is the second Jr to pass my way.

Great revival of a good 'ole red head thread! Here's my new gem I picked up last week. It's a 70's Bar-B-Q Kettle in great condition. Some polishing and new stain on the handle and she'll look like new.
100_5270.jpg

100_5271.jpg

Back