• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Des Moines / Great Pork BarbeQLossal

Balls Casten

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Was just filling out our app for the BarbeQlossal. And I noticed it says that you have to cook 3 slabs of ribs, 2 shoulders and 3lbs of loin. It also says this will be judged to KCBS standards.

I assume we cook and turn everything in just as we normally do with the white boxes. And they pick up the rest to sell or give away at the pork expo? We have never been to the event. Is there anything different here except cooking the extra meat?

they want teams to put your leftovers out for folks to sample... You get big crowds walking around trying different BBQ.

Qlossal is a very cool contest... I've always had a good time. But it might be the good folks I get to be with too.

Great, we snt in our app today. I also see we can get a golfcart permit. :) I dont know why we have always missed this in the past. Sounds fun.
Thx

Yea, I think thats what draws the crowds knowing that there will be free samples.

See ya there..I'll have to come over and see how that stoker works for you.

We haven't send in our app yet, but Anne is aware we're planning on being there.

We are considering it as well...is it a change from years past that the whole hog catergory does NOT count towards the overall? I don't have the equipment(or know how for that matter) to do a whole hog. I assume Friday arrival is ok, the only reason I ask is the website says meat inspection is on Thursday?

We are considering it as well...is it a change from years past that the whole hog catergory does NOT count towards the overall? I don't have the equipment(or know how for that matter) to do a whole hog. I assume Friday arrival is ok, the only reason I ask is the website says meat inspection is on Thursday?

Thursday inspection is for folks that have hogs and get there early. You want to be prepping that thing early and getting it on.

I like that the minimum size of the hog has increased from a piglet. :roll: We've always done 90+ lb dressed hogs.

It is a change this year that Whole Hog does not count towards the overall. Whole Hog deterred us from this contest for years, but we tried it last year and had a blast (and placed pretty decent for our first time doing a whole hog). I think eliminating the Whole Hog from the overall will attract more teams. Great contest...Anne really has things under control and mixing with the public is great.

me and the wife will be visiting again this year, have yet to cook it just always enjoy seeing the brethren.

This would be a hometown event for me
(even though I live in Ames, I grew up in DSM), but we are still trying to figure out if it will work for us to go. If we do I don't think we will do whole hog as I don't think we could stuff one in our WSMs :shock:.
I do like the idea of the expectation of having leftovers for public tasting.

I do like the idea of the expectation of having leftovers for public tasting.
It's good and bad. The BBQlossal people are better than some contest. I have been to some where they literally will try and take it out of your turn in box or get down right nasty with you if you don't have samples for them.

My advice, keep your turn in stuff and area where you get that ready for turn in far away as possible.

Thanks guys, I think we are gonna give it a try. Sounds like a fun and well run event. I better start practicing pork loin:shock:...any one have any great tips/techniques they want to share:lol:

Only tip I can give is turn in the loins pork side up...I think I'm doing this one as well. Who's bringin the liquer?

It's good and bad. The BBQlossal people are better than some contest. I have been to some where they literally will try and take it out of your turn in box or get down right nasty with you if you don't have samples for them.

My advice, keep your turn in stuff and area where you get that ready for turn in far away as possible.

I agree that in six years we've never had an issue with the public. They've always been great. Of course, Iowa people are pretty awesome.

Qlossal is a very cool contest... I've always had a good time. But it might be the good folks I get to be with too.

I'd have to agree with that statement.

Back