Ribs cooked 3 ways side by side (foil, paper, unwrapped)

Come to the Spring Bash on Saturday. Just check out the thread for directions, etc.

Just up the road from you.

:-D

@babyback,

thanks for doing the test.

without giving anything away, you and t-roy mentioned some bitter smoke - what do you think caused that?

I think the biggest Benefit to a wrap is the liquid you put in there to braise the meat. It’s another way to add flavor and help tenderness. Also I think for the most even/fair results, I would cook 3 racks each, that way you could dial in the tenderness on each one. You would probably have to do it in different days, which would be harder to film and another variable. Good video

Great video. I always cook ribs unwrapped but may have to try them wrapped in foil to see if I like them as well.

I did a wrapped in foil vs naked one time. They were pretty similar, with the slight nod to the wrapped. I still don't wrap my ribs after that, mostly because I'm lazy.

Ordered both the rub and sauce because you three guys said so. Better be good...:heh:

Scott

Loved the vid. I agree with others that cooking to tenderness on each would maybe have yielded more "useful" results, but this is a great baseline and may raise some interesting questions about the traditional view of each method.

022_beer_cheers_1_1x.jpg

@babyback,

thanks for doing the test.

without giving anything away, you and t-roy mentioned some bitter smoke - what do you think caused that?

Troy has a huge batch of pecan wood and most of it was too small to split so it smoked a lot more than usually. I think that's the reason but I don't know.

Good job! This was very interesting. Thanks for making it!

Come to the Spring Bash on Saturday. Just check out the thread for directions, etc.

Just up the road from you.

:-D

We were busy all day. Thanks for the invite though. I want to get out there one of these years but they always fall on a bad day for me. Thank you for thinking of me.

It's a nice video and it looks like you had fun making it.
The result is... well the result. Others may have had a different experience.
I've done spears on the UDS sometimes in foil and some in PB. Never a comparison but I do remember feeling a little disappointed with the BP results at one time. But then I didn't use the same rub and sauce so it could be why. I would certainly use less BP to wrap.

This is the great thing about this forum. People try things and experiment to better all our knowledge. I like that you tried to perform it as scientifically as possible. Reducing the number of variables as best you could.

Thanks Justin/Jason.:becky:

It's a nice video and it looks like you had fun making it.
The result is... well the result. Others may have had a different experience.
I've done spears on the UDS sometimes in foil and some in PB. Never a comparison but I do remember feeling a little disappointed with the BP results at one time. But then I didn't use the same rub and sauce so it could be why. I would certainly use less BP to wrap.

This is the great thing about this forum. People try things and experiment to better all our knowledge. I like that you tried to perform it as scientifically as possible. Reducing the number of variables as best you could.

Thanks Justin/Jason.:becky:

Yeah, I still honestly can't believe the results. The good thing is we put everything out there and people can draw their own conclusions on why. It is what it is...doesn't mean it will always turn out that way.

The BP result was definitely interesting

Yeah, not what I expected. I'm still thinking it's a situational thing...and like someone was saying yesterday on youtube, perhaps the presence of liquid in the wrap plays a bigger role than we think it does.

I think the temp variances on the offset can account for tenderness. Butcher paper would also absorb some of the juices that would normally stay in the foil, so less flavor.

As others have mentioned, besides finishing faster, the purpose of wrapping is also to introduce flavor into the ribs. For comparison sake and to decide on a comp recipe, I had 8 friends get together a few years ago and voted in a blind taste test with:
unwrapped vs. foil wrapped with apple juice vs. Johnny Trigg foil wrap mix.

The winner? The Johnny Trigg wrap mix by a landslide, especially when you tell them write the score down based on 1 bite. I was disappointed with the results as I do prefer naked ribs myself (and wrapping is an extra step I’d rather avoid), but there’s a reason why most teams do a variation of the JT foil wrap mix... It wins!

Back