Moose's Tandoori Chicken

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've been looking at a number of tandoori chicken recipes, which I sort of eyeballed and integrated the best of each, along with my own modifications. The last cook was the best so far, and I'm pretty happy with it. I used chicken thighs for this one, but you can also use cut up pieces, or a smaller halved bird. Either way, I remove the skin and score the meat in crosswise on all surfaces, as is traditionally done in Northern Indian tandoori style chicken. Sorry I didn't take pics of that part, but I do have these:

After marinating the chicken in the tandoori paste/marinade for 8 hours, I fired up the Kingsford Oval with some oak. I then put the thighs on the cool side so they could cook slowly and absorb the oaky smoky goodness:

IMG_0565.jpg

After about 15 mins, I turned them:

IMG_0567.jpg

Another 10mins and I moved them closer to the hot side of the grill:

IMG_0569.jpg

Finally, I moved them to the hot side, turning every few mins so they could get a nice "crust" on the outside:

IMG_0572.jpg

After I let the chicken rest, I served it with fresh Garlic Naan, cilantro garnish, and fresh homemade mint chutney:

IMG_0579.jpg

This was some really good Tandoori Chicken, and I will be doing it again soon!

Chicken looks delicious! Cool pics of the grill!! Well done all around! :clap2:

Holy cow that looks amazing! Great job and I'm liking that oval grill you got there. Looks like lots of cooking space.

That looks great... and it's a good thing you used thighs; because
as they say...."The Thigh's the Limit":bow:

I been really wanting to do some tandoori, I really got try it, that looks good.

Holy cow that looks amazing! Great job and I'm liking that oval grill you got there. Looks like lots of cooking space.

Al, I LOVE my Kingsford Oval. Too bad they don't make them anymore...I like it even more than my Weber Performer. I've had this for 7 years now and still going strong. anyway, here's a pic of the whole thing:

IMG_0272-1.jpg

Thanks! Everytime I see your posts I've wondered what that kingsford oval looks like. That sucks they don't make it I sure wouldn't mind having one in the backyard. Thanks for the pic!

Thanks! Everytime I see your posts I've wondered what that kingsford oval looks like. That sucks they don't make it I sure wouldn't mind having one in the backyard. Thanks for the pic!

If you ever see one for sale on CL or a yardsale, BUY IT! It is a super reverse searing machine. It circulates heat differently than a weber kettle which makes it ideal for reverse sear, plus the height of the lid permits for larger roasts, beer can chickens etc.

Great tutorial! And with homemade naan and chutney!
Care to share your marinade recipe?

Paul

Great tutorial! And with homemade naan and chutney!
Care to share your marinade recipe?

Paul

Here you go!

Moose’s Tandoori Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 (4 to 4 1/2 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed ( Or 8 thighs)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 white onion, quartered
  • 4-6 whole Garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions
Using a knife, cut diagonal slices 1-inch apart, and 1/2-inch deep into the larger pieces.

Combine the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, lemon juice and process in a blender or food processor on high speed to a paste. Then add the paprika, salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, and cayenne, and process until well blended. Add the yogurt, and process to a smooth sauce, scraping down the sides to combine all the ingredients. Pour the marinade into either a baking dish or Ziploc bag over the chicken. Turn to coat evenly, rubbing the marinade into the holes and slits. Cover tightly with plastic wrap if using a baking dish, or seal the Ziploc bag, refrigerate for at least 4 hours, and up to 12 hours, turning occasionally.

Set up a charcoal grill for indirect cooking with hot coals banked to one side. If you like a smokier tasting chicken, place a chunk of hardwood over the hot coals. Place chicken on the cool side of the grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on the first side. Turn, and cook on the second side for 8 to 10 minutes. Move the chicken to the hot side, and continue cooking, turning chicken pieces every 2 mins or as needed until the chicken is cooked through, but still tender. Let chicken rest 10 mins before serving. Serve with fresh cilantro garnish and lemon slices.

That looks great... and it's a good thing you used thighs; because
as they say...."The Thigh's the Limit":bow:

Why stop at the thighs? All the good stuff is just above...:becky:

Back