Newbie bites off more than he can chew (pron)

T

toastw

Hey all,

Just signed aboard. Thought I'd introduce myself with a pic of what I did for the Super Bowl. In the Bandera, you'll see two pork butts and three racks of baby back ribs.

This was the first time I smoked meat in her (unless you count that pork loin I threw in there while seasoning her up), so she looks nice and clean. Lots of firsts for me in this experience. First time I ever injected a butt (results were well received). Butts were on a couple hours by this pic, ribs just went on.

I learned that although I installed a baffle, I still had a bit of a hot spot closest to the fire chamber. Also learned that those butts were WAY too low, and I'll keep my meat as high in the "meat locker" as possible from here on out.

I also learned that three racks of ribs and two butts all at the same time is a lot of effort for one guy in one day. But once I get my bearings I hope it'll all be like second nature.

Anyway, it's great to be among all you pros and backyard pros. Looking forward to learning lots from you all!

(Sorry I don't have an online account to host my pics ... yet.)

Attachments

• superbowlbbq.jpg
    superbowlbbq.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 381
Looks good to me! Welcome! Make sure and swing by over in Cattle Call and introduce yourself!

Looks good, keep on cooking on her and you'll have it down pat before you know it!:cool:

Newbie!!??? You could have fooled me. Looks like you rocked that SB meal. That's all part of the fun..........learning as you go. Practice is fun too. I'd hit that!! Nicely done.

Looks good to me... As for the work, just have a beer and go at it on the butts... Ribs are easy to manage when they come of, it's the butt pullin' part that gets you.

Welcome.

You guys are too kind. And of course, I'm my own critic. AND ... you didn't see the final result. The butts came out too hot and the bark/outside was WAY overdone. Still, there was plenty of goodness to salvage. The ribs were also cooked a touch too long. They were definitely fall-off-the-bone done. Which everyone at the party thought was perfect, but I thought was too much.

Still, I think the flavor was on. Just need more practice with the smoker, I suppose. I guess I can live with that.

You guys are too kind. And of course, I'm my own critic. AND ... you didn't see the final result. The butts came out too hot and the bark/outside was WAY overdone. Still, there was plenty of goodness to salvage. The ribs were also cooked a touch too long. They were definitely fall-off-the-bone done. Which everyone at the party thought was perfect, but I thought was too much.

Still, I think the flavor was on. Just need more practice with the smoker, I suppose. I guess I can live with that.
Already got the Brethren spirit too.

I don't care what these farkers say, I like fall off the bone ribs. Sauce them up, too! So, good job!

Keep posting the pr0n!

Back