View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #11171
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
I don't and never had the need. Every thing I cook fits well between the racks...whole pork shoulders, beef clods, chuck roasts, spatchcocked chickens, whole turkeys, ribs....fits well, cooks well...
Well, you do have the "extended version". Most of the UDS'ers in here have the flat lid or at best the WSM lid which limits space and number of racks and clearances.

I swear I've seen some fire baskets half the height of the drum on here. Doesn't leave a lot of space for grates.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would build a new UDS with bolts for fixed grate heights. That was one of the first things I knew I had to change when I started building BUFORD's. Sure, I wanted a cheap, simple smoker that could put out some good BBQ but I also wanted the grate height adjustability dealing with the limited smoking space of the UDS.

I'm not saying the closet rack design I use is the best, I've seen some others, but it is functional and easily adjusts and rotates on the fly between racks of wings, butts, briskets, etc.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->