Royal Oak Lump

It could have been my good luck but when I recently switched from Royal Oak to Cowboy (used 3x now), I noticed that Cowboy had way, way less small bits than RO. Like another poster said, RO has a lot of small bits and you will only find a few pieces still intact. Cowboy had a lot of good chunks. Maybe these chunks are the scrap woods ya'll are talking about. Worked fine for me though.

Cheers.

I have tried RO (red bag) a few times I just bought a bag about 2 weeks ago since it quit snowing here in Ohio. I find a lot of tiny bits. The last bag I got had about 6-7 good size peices. The rest of the bag was shake, tiny little bits that fall through the grate at the bottom of my kamado or grill.

I have had better luck long term with Cowboy but I am likely going to try RO food service (GFS brand) because there is a GFS on my way home from work. hear roumors there are more bigger bits.

I think sometimes the size of the pieces depends more on the kids driving the forklifts and tossing bags in the warehouses and stores than the brand of the charcoal.

I have tried RO (red bag) a few times I just bought a bag about 2 weeks ago since it quit snowing here in Ohio. I find a lot of tiny bits. The last bag I got had about 6-7 good size peices. The rest of the bag was shake, tiny little bits that fall through the grate at the bottom of my kamado or grill.

I have had better luck long term with Cowboy but I am likely going to try RO food service (GFS brand) because there is a GFS on my way home from work. hear roumors there are more bigger bits.

I got 2 bags (at different times from different stores) of the GFS lump.

Never again. Both were mostly small pieces. You can actually feel them through the bag.

Thank you for the heads up ButtBurner. I guess it is off to Lowes for some Cowboy.

Thank you for the heads up ButtBurner. I guess it is off to Lowes for some Cowboy.

I dont know, I would check it out and see if it all feel small in the bag.

My GFS has real nice briskets, see if yours does too

I've just begun smoking with an ECB my father-in-law wasn't using. I was very pleased to find Royal Oak at the local Walmart, along with a pretty good assortment of wood chunks and chips. It's the only lump I have any experience with, but the results from my first try were well received. Your price was about 60% what I paid for it though...

Last time I was at GFS the briskets looked considerably better than the ones at my Wal-mart and they were full packers about $.50 cheaper than Wal-mart. I have a butcher about 3 blocks from my house (Al's Quality Market) and his briskets are $.59-1.00 more a pound than GFS but I know where the meat is sourced and it is some of the best meat I can get local for any price (Still Cheaper than Gaint Eagle). Plus I can call up and order whatever crosses my fancy with 3 days notice. I am picking up a pork shoulder tonight to smoke up Saturday.

I just bought RO.
Never again.
Most of the pieces were very very small

bought some stubbs lump from Costco and its not bad!

It's hit or miss with RO. Rocks, small pieces, plywood, etc on bad bags. Lots of large and medium chunks in good bags. Nothing's perfect guys. Now when is that menards yearly sale gonna start?

stubbs at costco ?? really ?
i have used ro lump for a long time and i have found very little bad things in the bags. yes, lump will have small pieces. i have found this in almost every bag of other brands that i have used. what the problem is is that there is a lot of stuff that is regional so we just have to use whatever is reasonably available.

bought some stubbs lump from Costco and its not bad!

Back