Are you a pitmaster?

I don't see myself as a pitmaster, but right now I'm feeling pretty good. On New Years Day, we traditionally have pork loin, cabbage, blackeyed peas, and assorted desserts. This year, people kept walking in asking if we were having barbecue. My oldest daughter's father-in-law came in and said "Where's the ribs?" When my wife told them we were not having barbecue, there was a collective groan from the (mostly men) crowd. I had to promise a big Memorial Day BBQ party to keep half of them from going back home to watch football.

I am The Master of my offset stickburner, Weber performer, and hand made UDS. I can grill or smoke pork butts, pork loin, spare ribs, pork chops, whole chicken, chicken thighs, chicken legs, whole turkey, brisket, steak, pit beef, burger, brats, and sausage to perfection. I don't know if that makes me a Pitmaster or not but I know how to que. More importantly, 99% if the initial knowledge and instruction came from a place I know where many true pitmasters hang out, The BBQ-Brethren.

In my own back yard and with Family and Friends, YES! After hanging around with you Guys and Gals that is. ;D

I am master of nothing. that about sums it up. I just wanted to see what everyone would say. There are a lot of the Brethren that I look up to though.

I am listed as the Pitmaster of Cat Sass BBQ, but I do not consider myself a Pitmaster - yet. I'm on my way, but I'm not there yet.

I have been in the presence of great Pitmasters so I know what they are like. The bar is set high, and I'm shooting for that mark.

It depends on the cook. When I don't poison anyone and I don't end up with a grease fire with flames shooting out several feet above my head, I'm a pitmaster. Otherwise, heck no! So, I'm more of a "PitAverageJoe" kind of guy.

It depends on the cook. When I don't poison anyone and I don't end up with a grease fire with flames shooting out several feet above my head, I'm a pitmaster. Otherwise, heck no! So, I'm more of a "PitAverageJoe" kind of guy.

I disagree Bro. I've seen pic's of your work. :clap:

So...you didn't master their pits for them?:tsk:

There's a learning curve, you can teach the basics of fire control, maybe help with the seasoning, and possibly do a little trimming, superficial things. How many times do I read of a party where the woman essential does EVERYTHING. The man essentially just supervises the pit, tries to keep his beer down, puts the meat in, and hopefully doesn't take it off until it is properly cooked. In the end he gets the credit. We all know it's a lie. It's really the woman who has performed the mental gymnastics and done all the work. I believe women would like us to think we are the pitmasters, but I think we all know the truth. It is a mental process, almost a game we play.

There's a learning curve, you can teach the basics of fire control, maybe help with the seasoning, and possibly do a little trimming, superficial things. How many times do I read of a party where the woman essential does EVERYTHING. The man essentially just supervises the pit, tries to keep his beer down, puts the meat in, and hopefully doesn't take it off until it is properly cooked. In the end he gets the credit. We all know it's a lie. It's really the woman who has performed the mental gymnastics and done all the work. I believe women would like us to think we are the pitmasters, but I think we all know the truth. It is a mental process, almost a game we play.

Oh, well that's different. :-D

I considers myself a novice. I only know anything about que because of the Brethren. I love to que but I have only begun to scratch the surface. So do you consider yourself a pitmaster? When was it that you became one and how. was it winning a competition or at some other point?

Depends on who's coming over :D

IMO,

Pitmaster=

When it's 95+ degrees outside and 100% humidity, you decide of all the options in life that your best best is to stand around a fire for the weekend.

Not even close. Learning new things every time I put match to wood. I think it will be that way for as long as I keep cooking over wood etc.

I have no ideal I cook a lot of q each year for people they keep coming back , but then again I work cheap and lot of free cooking

As my signature indicates, some day i will be (if I live long enough). I think others in this thread have said, you can not really be a pitmaster unless you can take any cut of meat on any cooker in any conditions and cook it to perfection without fail. I have also stood with many of the greats. I have even beaten some of them in contests but in my mind, that does not make me a pitmaster. If I were to challenge them tomorrow and could not beat them again. When I stand leader of the BBQ greats time and time again and they call me a pit master......I guess I would be one

Back