• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Wait, I finished? How can this be? I never thought i'd make it to the end, but I did it. Thank goodness i took notes and remember hat I read. Just sourcing a drum, and then it's off to the races.
Some things of note:
* I laughed mightily when around page 60 when people started saying "OMG this thread is long!"
* Lots of ways to do the same things: i.e. exhaust, intake, charcoal basket, etc etc etc.
* seattlepitboss suggested http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=906766&postcount=2904 here to boil a lned drum with half a box of cascade. Never saw anybody try it. Did I miss that?
* 4Dueces Nadine Jensen avatar. Just sayin'.
* Reading the entire thread is absolutely 100% worth it. Yes, all the basic knowledge is contained in the early pages, but the same problems pop up over and over again. So much so that if I run into any problems with my build, i'll already know the answer before asking it.
* DalekDS, me likey. :)

I think that's about it. My brain has sublimated into tapioca, i'ma go soak in the hot tub.

Any feedback from people that have used the PVC valves? ...

AFAIK those that have used them have reported success ith them. Since temps in a UDS usually don't go PVC valves over 350ish unless someone specifically wants it to, there hasn't been any problems with going all wicked with of the west. (melting, what a world, what a world!)

Any feedback from people that have used the PVC valves? I've seen a lot of pictures in the thread, how do they work?

I'm thinking one 1-1/2" or 2" air hole with a PVC valve.

thanks,
dave

I got one but did not it because it was just to hard to open and close. So I got a brass ball valve. I noticed they are about $3.00 cheaper at harbor freight tool.

I have not used pvc valves since I have a local harbor freight. I did use a pvc fitting to connect my blower (when I went to a guru). I had no issues with the pvc getting too hot. The intake is below the fire, and has a flow of air cooling the nipple. Both help to keep the pvc temp fairly low.

Need Ideas

Okay...so I'm looking for ideas/info regarding making my lid air tight. I have beat the crap out of my lid trying to make it seal tight, but I have failed terribly... Any ideas/info on where to buy would be a huge help. I have used the search at the bottom with no luck. Thanks

Here's my set up.

6080780636_7f253496ff.jpg

Last edited:
that will depend on how the lid sits on the drum, is it inside the rim, outside of the rim, or just sits on top of the rim. You can use high temp. silicon or the rope type stove gasket and that should seal it up airtight!!

Thanks for the response Bigbob. The lid sits outside the rim of the drum. I'm gonna search and see where i can find some of that rope gasket. Any ideas on how to secure the rope to the lid?

"Any ideas on how to secure the rope to the lid?"

Use high temp silicone; the same place that has the rope should have that also.

the rope gasket can be found usually at Ace Hardware or possibly a local hardware or appliance store, I used a small bead of high temp silicon on the lid in the groove and then put the gasket on and set it in place to let it dry overnight and now it seals up perfectly..

Cook time time question

Just another cook time question that's probably been covered already, but I have to get back to work. I could spend a week on this thread.

I will be cooking an eight pound butt this weekend for some folks that are coming over and was curious how long ya'll think it might take. I know some have said that things tend to go a little faster on the good old UDS. This will be my second smoke on my new build. I did some whole chickens that turned out amazing. I know it all depends on the cut of meat, etc....Im just trying to get ball park idea. 10Hrs?

Thanks!

Just another cook time question that's probably been covered already, but I have to get back to work. I could spend a week on this thread.

I will be cooking an eight pound butt this weekend for some folks that are coming over and was curious how long ya'll think it might take. I know some have said that things tend to go a little faster on the good old UDS. This will be my second smoke on my new build. I did some whole chickens that turned out amazing. I know it all depends on the cut of meat, etc....Im just trying to get ball park idea. 10Hrs?

Thanks!

Millions of answers will come. But don't sweat it. Just try for 225 in the smoker and leave the meat in there for 11 hours. It's totally fine if you pull it off when the meat internal temp is 185, 195, even 205. I found once it hits 200 it really gets soft.

"Any ideas on how to secure the rope to the lid?"

Use high temp silicone; the same place that has the rope should have that also.

Insulation ropes in general have fiberglass. Usually you'll find big warnings about not having that anywhere near food.

But another idea is to find another barrel with same diameter, and cut it to essentially make an extension that you'd turn into a big lid.

Who has the uds of R2D2? I can't find or remember the thread it was in.....

Thanks

sent from phone.

Well, I have read all of this thread, and have been informed, entertained, and enlightened! Hats off to all who have posted and gone before me. There is a wealth of knowledge on here. I started out on another forum, and planned my UDS from there, but found this forum and greatly expanded my knowledge. I have built my KISS smoker without any mods or extra blings, and have been rewarded with an excellent controllable smoker. I have three 3/4 inch intakes, two caped off and one with a ball valve. I have a 2" by 5" pipe nipple screwed into the bung hole on the lid, which is a removable lid with a clamp ring on it. My basket is made from 3/4 # 9 expanded and bolted on an angle iron frame. No welding, just cut and bolt together along with some hog wire. It is about 14 X 14 and sits three inches above the bottom of the barrel. All holes were cut with a hole saw or drill bits. I bought some extra caps for my intakes and drilled different size holes in them for added control when needed. After my first brisket that I smoked for 9 hours, I let the fire go on at a steady 210 degrees and after 37 hours, i got tired of checking on it and shut it down, with some briquets still left unburned. Needless to say, I was impressed. If I can figure out how to post some pictures, I will post pictures of my build.

I hope this works: :shock:

OMARSUDSBUILD005-1.jpg

2" X 5" nipple
OMARSUDSBUILD002.jpg

El Cheepo Wal Mart temp gauge, and the "U" bolts for the grate.

OMARSUDSBUILD003.jpg

The tin cup is my shut off "Valve - Rain protector"

OMARSUDSBUILD004.jpg

Two of three intakes.

Back