Update: Air Compressor Tank Grill/Smoker Ideas.

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Took the weedeater to the small engine shop for a tune up on Saturday and in looking around, noticed they had a bunch of old AC tanks lying around. One of the guys lives there at the shop and in talking agreed to trade me one of the tanks for a smoked brisket. (for some reason only after hours!!! :roll:)
Very simililar to this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...03j&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=21-81444964-2

My goal is to give myself a winter project and create a receiver mounted grill/smoker that I can put on the back of the truck or the 5th wheel to take camping and for mobility. I currently lug around either the SJP, the SJ, or the MUDS with us when we go out. They take up room and figured I could make a portable unit something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-GO-GRILLER-...=270629737939&ps=63&clkid=4853503515245665703

But, being that the tank is just big enough, I'm going to install a plate that will let me separate the fire on one end so that I can smoke in it too. Kinda an all in one smoker/charcoal grill.

Gonna try to keep it as light weight as possible. What ya'll think? Doable. SHould I cut the tank in half all the way(horizontally) like the one in the link above, or just cut out a smaller door like you see on most large stick burners? I'm thinking less leakage with the smaller door.

Bob

Last edited:
Sounds like a project to me, and a good one. I would think about weight though. Those Air Compressor tanks can be pretty heavy and more so after you add the Grates and baffles.

I've seen several of these made before and even used one. They are kind of heavy depending on the thickness of the metal but I like pits like that because they hold heat very well. I say go for it you can never have too many pits. And hooking into the hitch is convienent space wise. Good luck!

The baffle will be nothing but a small piece of sheet type metal about as big as half the circumference of the tank. I have two ideas for the grate. I can get expando from my FIL and make a grate with some small, lightweight angl I already have or get a cheapy rod style replacement grate from Lowes and cut it to size. I'll need to see how heavy the tank is once the motor etc is removed, but I'm thinking the actual arm/brace and hitch might be the heaviest parts. Other additions will be a small smoke stack, maybe a shelf, if weight allows and the cutomary bottle opener.:becky:

Worst scenario would be that I could just make it portable since the one he's giving me has the wheels and the handle on it and then make the arm and brace removable. That way I can just set it up when we get to our destination, then tear it down and haul it in the truck bed.

Thanks guys!

The smaller door would be better for smoking and the cut in half idea would probably make for easier grilling. I would go with the smaller door if the main mode of transportation is going to be in the receiver hitch. It would be more solid and handle any bouncing or rattling around better imho.

Paul

The smaller door would be better for smoking and the cut in half idea would probably make for easier grilling. I would go with the smaller door if the main mode of transportation is going to be in the receiver hitch. It would be more solid and handle any bouncing or rattling around better imho.

Paul

Great idea. I didn't factor in the bouncing and rattling vs door design.

Thanks Paul!!:thumb:

Bob

Bob, try and locate an old propane tank. The kind without the OPD valve. Remove the valve and let air out and wash several times. Cut it for a firebox and mount it below the tank. Or I have always wanted to make a kind of OzPig.
http://www.ozpig.com.au/

Bob, try and locate an old propane tank. The kind without the OPD valve. Remove the valve and let air out and wash several times. Cut it for a firebox and mount it below the tank. Or I have always wanted to make a kind of OzPig.
http://www.ozpig.com.au/

I should have the tank by Saturday. I tossed the idea of adding a firebox like maybe the firebox off a chargriller but thought about the weight and added bulk issue. I also noticed that they had one of those pancake compressor tanks sitting around.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ccode=cii_5784816&locStoreNum=523&marketID=73
I might try to deal for that one too. I think it would make for a perfect charcoal firebox. I'm looking going to going with charcoal and chunks kinda set up only cause I normally don't have the time to burn sticks when we go camping. The propane tank idea may just work too.
Cool ideas fellas! Keep em coming.

Bob

Dang!!! Thanks for that link. It gives me a good starting point. That sucker is a heavy one. I'm going too need to go lighter since the hitch on the 5th wheel bumper won't be able to hold that much weight. But dang, that is nice looking!

That is bad arse!! Thanks Norco!

Bob

Here's what I have to work with and work around. The trailer has one of these pull out cargo racks and max weight is 200 or 300 lbs. Can't remember. This max weight I assume is when it's extended and accounts for the weight of the spare tire as well. I will need to figure something out with the spare. The rack already extends out far enough so I don't want the grill to add even more length to the trailer. So when it's in transit it will be mounted so it sits over the rack. When I need to use it, I'll simply turn it around and mount it so it extends beyond the rack. I also have that steel bar that's sticking upright behind the spare tire. It's a bike support bar that I never use. I could easily use that bar as the bottom support for the grill. I'll incorporate it somehow.
Here's a link to a bumper bracket that I may try to use as well. I could mover the spare over, then use one of these brackets to support the grill right next to the tire. I also need to take balance issue inot consideration as well.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rv-4-bumper-adapter/17221

Last edited:
is there enough room for the tank to sit between that upright and the motorhome, (while in route... then ya wouldnt have that much more weight hangin off end....then when ya get to where you are goin swing it on around to cookin position

The only things I put on that rack is the ice chest/s, one of the grills like the SJP so there isn't much weight on it to begin with. The other thing I thought about was to put that bracket at the end of the bumper so that it faces the area of the trailer where we hang out. THat way I don't need to be literally out in back. There will be plenty of room for it to fit between the spare and the back of the trailer itself. I don't know that I can put a swing arm on it, but I will simply need to remove it from the travelling position and connect it to the other reciever for cooking. I guess I'll be going with a travel and cooking receivers in two different locations on the bumper.

Update: Got the tank yesterday. Exhanged a briskie for it and took my son with me to make the exchange. First off, made a new buddy, Ron. He LOVED the brisket. On our way home, my son asks, "Dad, why did you give him that meat?" I say, "Cause we made a trade (then explained the idea of trading with him/5 year old mod). Told him, I gave him the brisket for the tank. To which he replies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Why, are you gonna make a smoker?" LOL!!! I had never told him what the tank was for. I busted out laughing. He knows dad TOO WELL!!
Also, told Ron that if he liked the trade, maybe we could make a few more in the future. He says, "If you ever need any tune ups on your mower or any other small engines, bring em over." I'll tune it and turn it back around to you in a day for a trade. So, good new bud and connection to have.
SO, here it is. FARK, lot bigger when I got it home and put it on the trailer shelf! I'm going to use all the braces, supports, handles in the project. It has two valve openings on top and one on the bottom. I'm gonna toss some ideas that may keep the wheels on it and make it more mobile. This tank is already freaking heavy. Gonna toss around some more ideas. What you guys think? May just keep it as a grill and then I can still smoke in it with a banked coals on one end.
I love the whole, "thinkin bout it" part! :wink:

Pics on the way.
001.jpg

003-1.jpg

I will probably re use the motor mount as the mounting base for the whole thing. Just grind it out and weld to the bottom.
004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

For those of you that see it better in dimension, like me!! It's farking huge.
007-1.jpg

Need some fab ideas. What you fabricators think?

Bob

Last edited:
Back