Tips for Reheating Brisket??

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I need some help and ideas on the best way to reheat a brisket. I'm gonna cook a whole brisket tomorrow (Saturday) and plan on reheating it and serving it on Sunday for lunch after church. What would be the best way to reheat it on Sunday? Should I leave it whole and reheat in the oven on low for a couple hours. What temp should I bring it back up to on Sunday to try and keep it from drying out?

Thanks
Patrick

I pull, vacuum bag and reheat in boiling H2O. Works great for me.

Never thought of that. Do you need special bags for that? How long does it take to reheat? What temp you bring the brisket up to?

Never thought of that. Do you need special bags for that? How long does it take to reheat? What temp you bring the brisket up to?

This is the best way to warm brisket. You do not need special bags. Just note that regular zip locks are considered "safe" up to 170 degrees. You can go higher but they can leech harmful chemicals above that. The "perfect bite" is considered to be around 140ish so if you can keep your temps around there for a gentle warm up, that would be best.

If you have a food saver, those bags are best. No temp restrictions in water but you can use ziplocks if you want (I use both interchangeably)

I reheat my brisket at 325-350 for an hour to an hour and a half, depending on size. I just put it in a pan and cover with foil. Put your finished brisket in the pan you are using to reheat it in. That way all the juices that come out while it is cooling down will be in your pan. I would check temp after the first hour. I have to beat my brisket to 160*F. Food safety regulations. Let us know how it goes. I don't read so well so could you post pictures for me.

Oh yeah- I'm talking about sliced or chopped brisket leftovers here. I don't ever reheat whole briskets, but I would do it like Pyle's if I did.

Personally, I agree that the best way is to reheat slices/chopped meat in Foodsaver vacuum sealed bags. That keeps things from drying out. I try and add au jous to the bags before I seal them. Then during the reheat, the meat gets good and hydrated. PLUS, then the slicing is all done and the day of reheat, you just warm, cut the bags open and dump the meat and it's good to serve.

I need some help and ideas on the best way to reheat a brisket. I'm gonna cook a whole brisket tomorrow (Saturday) and plan on reheating it and serving it on Sunday for lunch after church. What would be the best way to reheat it on Sunday? Should I leave it whole and reheat in the oven on low for a couple hours. What temp should I bring it back up to on Sunday to try and keep it from drying out?

Thanks
Patrick

sorry- I did not read all the way through and see that this was a whole brisket. Do it the way Pyle's said. Do not slice it until you are ready to serve it.. heat it whole covered at 300-350. Warm it to 150 or so if you have a thermo you can use to measure

Thanks everyone. Yes this will be a whole brisket cooked the day before. Also is there a big difference between a select brisket vs choice brisket? Is it worth the price difference? I'd have to run to restaurant depot for choice which is like 45 min from my house vs just going to Walmart which is 5 min away for a select one.

Thanks everyone. Yes this will be a whole brisket cooked the day before. Also is there a big difference between a select brisket vs choice brisket? Is it worth the price difference? I'd have to run to restaurant depot for choice which is like 45 min from my house vs just going to Walmart which is 5 min away for a select one.

What is the price difference? If is less than a $1/#, then yes it would be worth it. All the brisket I get is choice and this week it was $2.61/#.

There is usually a difference. would I drive an hour and a half round trip to get choice over select? No. You will notice the main difference in the thin part of the flat which I don't eat much of anyway. The point and thicker part of the flat should still be plenty moist. I cut up the thin half of the flat and make chopped out of it no matter what type of brisket I'm cooking because it's too lean for my taste.

Went to RD and picked up an 18lb choice brisket for $2.50 per pound. I think Walmart was over $3 per pound. Should I cook it today to it passes the probe test and feels luck butter? Or pull it a little early today and then warm and finish tomorrow in the oven?

I cooked a whole one for a customer to reheat. BigMista gave me some great advice....if I can remember it correctly:

--Cook brisket until done
--Let it cool a bit unwrapped but put something under it to save the juices
--Double wrap in foil with juices and a little beef broth
--Reheat wrapped until 165

It must have worked because I got orders for more to be done this way....:biggrin1:

Thanks Danin that's helpful. Did he mention what temp to reheat in the oven at? I wonder if it matters as long as you take it out at 165* internal temp. Would this work reheating in a foil pan?

no pro solution here?

wrap while hot in rest grade plastic so many times it becomes its own vac pack.

3-times longways, then the same shortways, repeat, repeat.

chill down with ice then freeze or fridge.

reheat in plastic wrapped in butcher paper or a little water in pan to protect plastic at no more than 325 until plastic bubbles from slight steam

let sit until it shrinks in again

open and slice

Back