• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

calling all guru/stoker users

got14u

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
do any of you have a backwoods/spicewine, insulated reverse flow smoker using one of these fan units? My question is about the exhaust I know under "manual" conditions you cut the stack down to a quarter or so but with a guru/stoker unit do you still do that? thx in advance

bumpily bump, I would love to get a answer to this before the smoker gets back from powder coat and have to play around with it just to figure this out.

On my Humphreys I close the exhaust down about half with my guru, just like when I'm not using it.

Backwoods wide open!

You'll have to learn the "sweet spot" on when to plug the fan in and close the intakes so you hit your target temp with ease. If not you'll have to pinch the exhaust down to control the temp.

Wide open on my backwoods.

I will say, its much easier to hold a temp if you "walk up" the temp of the cooker. I start my cooker up to two hours early. Set it first at 175, let it settle in for a while, then 200, let it settle in for a while. I've found 25 degree steps work pretty well. If you set it at from the start at 250, you will overshoot and backwoods can be a little quirky to get cooled back down.

Wide open on my backwoods.

I will say, its much easier to hold a temp if you "walk up" the temp of the cooker. I start my cooker up to two hours early. Set it first at 175, let it settle in for a while, then 200, let it settle in for a while. I've found 25 degree steps work pretty well. If you set it at from the start at 250, you will overshoot and backwoods can be a little quirky to get cooled back down.

Wow, 2 hrs early? 45 min max for me. Start the fire, fill the pan w hot water. When the temp gets 30* from target temp, close the intakes and plug in the fan. No problems at all.....

At lease not on mine. But each cooker is different....

wide open on my backwoods.

+1 except I have shortened this process by preheating the cook chamber with my weed burner.

my backwoods i run the exhaust 25% about and the guru vent half open, it will dial in extremely well, i preheat mine with the weed burner and its good for cooking wicked fast, i find when i run the exhaust wide open on any of my cookers they will eventually take off and messing with the vents during a cook is so not why i have a guru

I have a stoker and a WSM but in general you want to keep it closed enough to have some back pressure and sealing but open enough to vent. You will find a sweet spot and I would start all the way open and dial it in. On my WSM its sealed open to where the sweet spot is.

Back