Have you ever put you probe in your

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
stop hovering and open it!

Have you ever put your temp probe in your oven?

Yesterday we bought a stove from Craigslist. I decided to see how accurate the temps was in the oven. With the setting at 350, the fluctuation is from 348 to 362. Seems strange that most can maintain a more constant temp with basically a campfire in a pipe.

Btw, this is an electric oven, is there a swing like that with gas?

Maybe I need a life, when you resort to sticking your probe in the oven I guess things are pretty dull.:|

I think you would have fluctuation as the Elements kick on and off.

Yes that is what is going on. I just thought it was kinda funny in light of how closely we seem to monitor the temps on the smoker.

It's the same thing when I use the cookshack..the temp is all over the place but it averages out to whatever you have it set at.

Mine(electric) takes almost 20 minutes to get up to 350 and then there is about a 5 degree fluctuation when on convection and only about 16 on bake. I have one of those glass tops and I wish I had never seen it!!~

Fluctuation in temperature is totally normal....I saw a show on the Foodnetwork and it was for some sort of bake off and this woman was freaking out over the temp fluctuating and then it was explained to her that this is normal.

I Can See It Now...

...We're all going to be adding water pans, or sand, or ceramic something or others to our ovens to keep the temp. more constant!!!!

:wink::wink:

JimT

I have an egg, Oven is Cast iron storage vessel. :biggrin:

That seems like a lot to me. But I guess it depends on what you are doing with it.

...We're all going to be adding water pans, or sand, or ceramic something or others to our ovens to keep the temp. more constant!!!!

:wink::wink:

JimT

:-D for sure there will be a few. Let us know if works:wink:

...We're all going to be adding water pans, or sand, or ceramic something or others to our ovens to keep the temp. more constant!!!! :wink::wink: JimT

My wife went to a "Pampered Chef" party last weekend. They were selling baking pans (smaller than a 1/2 sheet pan) that had a stone ware type lining on it. It's supposed to help even out the temps for pizza or cookies. 30 farkin' bucks!!!

It's the same thing when I use the cookshack..the temp is all over the place but it averages out to whatever you have it set at.
i work on appliances and yes this is normall it is based on an avrage tempin the oven also you are getting temp onthe rack the best way is a thermo meter with a thermocouple on it :icon_devil

At least it was close to your setting of 350. When I did that, I found that my setting was 30 degrees higher than the actual temperature. No wonder I was overcooking everything! Being a cheapskate and not knowing how to adjust it, I put a pinstripe line on the knob that is now what I use for setting the temp.

It felt like I was putting a piece of tape around the broken nose piece of my glasses...if you know what I mean...but it works.

I have an 18 inch square paving stone on the bottom rack when i am baking. Really helps with recovery times when you open door and makes temp swings less drastic. Won't stop them though.

sheesh.. i never thought of it that way.

My spicewine with stoker is accuarte within 2 degrees of 250 over 12 hours untouched. (Except at a contest where its all over the farking map).

My klose and Bandera runs where ever I want it to.

My WSMS lock in at 245 for year or 2.

My Kenmore Elite Gas oven fluctuates 10 degrees in either direction.

Hmmm... My FE100 Fluctuates 10-15 degrees too...
Just like my oven. :twisted:

Back