Smoked Mac & Cheese--Advice Needed

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey, I normally bake my mac & cheese for about 20-25 minutes in my little indoor electric oven at 350F.

I've never smoked Mac & Cheese.

Do I just do it the same way in the smoker, with a wood chunk or two--same temperature and duration? Or will it take on too much smoke flavor?

Mine always seems to smokey. I am going to foil next time to see if it helps.

I've done it. Go easy on the smoke, a well seasoned pit maybe enough. It gets stronger the next day too.

If it's only mac i wouldn't even bother using wood. Like C said it get's pretty smoky. If it's going on with meat i'd definitely foil.

Just made some now with liquid smoke.. just stirred it in.. tastes pretty good actually :)

No wood here either, mac and cheese takes on smoke very easily. Otherwise, just like an oven.

Consider smoked paprika instead of liquid smoke. If you love liquid smoke, fantastic!

Hey, I normally bake my mac & cheese for about 20-25 minutes in my little indoor electric oven at 350F.

I've never smoked Mac & Cheese.

Do I just do it the same way in the smoker, with a wood chunk or two--same temperature and duration? Or will it take on too much smoke flavor?

Hey do you have a recipe you would like to share?

I'd follow LordlyMantis' lead and cold smoke my cheese first, then make the mac and cheese using your standard method w/ the cold smoked cheese. Been thinking about doing this for some time now.

I'm totally confused. You guys and gal don't get your mac and cheese from a Kraft box?

Yes, using cold smoked cheese and making the mac-n-cheese in the oven works just fine. I do that from time to time and people love it.

I have found that smoking a box of mac-n-cheese gives things an off flavor. I use a metal or glass pan, they work better than cardboard

Hey do you have a recipe you would like to share?

Sure I'll share one. If you ever want a super cheap mac & cheese that doesn't use 2 bag$ of chee$e:

(I've made the real mac & cheese with bechamel and loads of cheese, topped with bread crumbs before--don't get me wrong I love the taste of it and make it from time to time.. but I am also pretty frugal and do with the boxed stuff--which can taste pretty good:)

Buy the 39 cent box of mac w/ powdered cheese from Aldi (if you shop there)--it's a really good mac:

Boil/cook the macaroni pasta

Add 4 tablespoons of butter to a sauce pan and start heating it up, then add 2 tablespoons of white flour. Cook the butter/flour until the flour is nutty, for a thin roux. Add 1 cup of milk, 2 cloves and cook on high until thickened (i.e. make a bechamel). Turn heat off but leave pan on burner. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar. Salt & Pepper the bechamel to taste--white pepper is prettier than black in this case but not necessary. Add the powder cheese packet. Throw in a single handful of sharp cheddar cheese. Mix in. The result should be a really thick, creamy, cheesy and very tasty. Remove the 2 cloves. Once your mac is done, stir it in.

If you want to bake it instead, just cook your mac al dente instead of fully and add enough water (or milk) into the cheese mixture to where it is soupy. Then bake at 350F for like 20-25 minutes (top with some mozerella cheese--it'll brown nicely).

Here is a pic of it:

6xsr4z.jpg

It's pretty nice, you are really only adding a little more milk and 2 tablespoons of flour beyond the recipe on the back of the box, along with a single handful of sharp cheddar. Very inexpensive yet adds so much creamy cheesy sauce.

I dont know about you???? Liquid smoke and powdered cheese???????:shock:

I dont know about you???? Liquid smoke and powdered cheese???????:shock:

Don't knock it until you've tried it. It's more than powdered cheese.. it's a bechamel with powder cheese added and a handful of sharp cheddar added. Also the 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar gives the bechamel enough acidity to match the acidity of some cheeses.

Heck, just macaroni and a bechamel alone is super delicious.

Regarding liquid smoke, it's nice in a pinch when you don't have two weeks to let smoked cheddar rest :)

Might try the mac n cheese. I still need to check out Aldi's.

Might try the mac n cheese. I still need to check out Aldi's.

I've see boxed mac & cheese at Walmart going for $1 .. Aldi really does have some awesome deals at less than 1/2 the cost. Same thing with their flour tortillas. Hamburger buns are only 8 for 89 cents as well.

Back