Costco boneless butts

B

bbqjoe

We had a pretty good weekend. Went through way more pulled pork than anticipated.
Sent someone to costco to pick up a few butts to get us through the day until deliveries arrive this afternoon.

He picked up two packages.(Two in each) All they had was boneless.
Why would someone want a boneless butt?
These were all loose and falling apart during the rub.
After cooking, I needed a microscope to find the darn things.

Yep, they are funny that way. I've "had" to use them a time or two and are a royal pain to get the way I want them.

I've always gotten decent yield from them, but I prefer the bone-in pork.

I imagine they are prefered by most of there customers who oven cook them.

... geez!.. I'm a bit surprised ... I recently smoked one and the P-P was my best yet (still fairly new at this though). Depending on where one lives, it's not necessarily easy to get the 'real deal'. Supermarket butts (bone-in ) are really half-butts most of the time. Found out that I can order ahead and have one local butcher shop hold one out before they cut it in half for 'normal' packaging. I'll trust you bro's and do one of these next time to learn the difference.

willkat98 said:
They'd be good for that buckboard bacon stuff

Yes sir, they work fine.

For whole butts, when our local market has butts on sale I just phone the meat department and ask them to hold out 2 pacs (they normally come in cryovac, 2 whole butts each). That seems to last me until the next time they go on sale. Which reminds me, gotta take a pac out of the freezer right now for a tamale party this weekend. MMM, tamales.

bbqjoe said:
He picked up two packages.(Two in each) All they had was boneless. Why would someone want a boneless butt?

Tamales my friend, tamales. For BBQ, I dunno because like you said those things just flap all over the place from where the bone was removed.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

i prefer(read that as always use) boneless butts. Although i never seen them at Costco here.. I get them at restaurant depot and its two per package. usually one big, one small between 6 and 9 lbs each.

Dont like that gray matter ya get next to the bone, and when i get one bone in, i butterfly the bone out.. I like the boneless becase they offer more surface area to apply the rub, inside and out..

ya have a choice of how to cook them.. splayed out where ya get lots of bark, top and bottom, like spatchcocked bird, or after applying the rub, i tie them up into a tight ball and cookem like that.

the open faced way is great if your slicing or chunking it.

BBQchef33 said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

ya have a choice of how to cook them.. splayed out where ya get lots of bark, top and bottom, like spatchcocked bird, or after applying the rub, i tie them up into a tight ball and cookem like that.

the open faced way is great if your slicing or chunking it.

Our Costco has always had boneless butts, in pairs, totalling 12-15lbs. maybe it is a regional thing? The sams has bone in butts, so there is always a choice. I have to agree... you get alot of options with the boneless, I usually just butterfly next to the bone to get the surface area for the rub, but leave the bone in for cooking. If I bone one out - it is to get extra bark by splaying it as you mention. 1/2 the butt or more ends up bark that way.

... went back and pulled this Thread and these last posts really got my attention .... re. splaying the full, boneless butt.
My new question is: How might this (splayed, whole, boneless butt) work for Buckboard Bacon .. because it seems like my finished product would slice far better and more attractively than the traditional butt shape.

Q_Egg said:
... went back and pulled this Thread and these last posts really got my attention .... re. splaying the full, boneless butt.
My new question is: How might this (splayed, whole, boneless butt) work for Buckboard Bacon .. because it seems like my finished product would slice far better and more attractively than the traditional butt shape.

I conquer. Last time I did bb bacon I used boneless butts. The cure had more surface to work on, and consequently, less depth to penetrate. The finished product did slice nicely, almost resembling store bought bacon. That's why I prefer the "traditional" low temp (225*) cooking for these. The smaller pieces will obviously cook faster than the large ones. Cooking at a lower temp is more forgiving in this regard. The smaller pieces don't turn to carbon before the large pieces are done. I still check temp toward the end of the cook and take the individual chunks out as they are done.

YMMV

I couldn't imagine a butt with out a bone in it. I'm soory, that sounded bad. I meant cooking the butt end of a pork shoulder that did not still posess the bone.

Kevin said:
.... used boneless butts. The cure had more surface to work on, and consequently, less depth to penetrate. The finished product did slice nicely, almost resembling store bought bacon. ....edit ...
YMMV

OK ... lots of issues here, but this gives me enough info to try it !!

Happy T !!!! ........ respectfully

Paulie G. said:
I couldn't imagine a butt with out a bone in it. .... edit ...

never a doubt what you intended ... I think! The merits seem sound, but there are times when convenience is a strong persuader. My 'purist' side agrees totally.

Back