Question for Korean food aficionados...

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
What is this?

photo-878.jpg

I've been told it's really hot and it's really popular among Koreans. Apparently it shows up a lot in the food that the Kogi truck serves.

Here's the ingredients list in case you were wondering what's in it.

photo-2235.jpg

Looks like something fun to mess with!

Ingredients and content: 22.8% rice, Qingyang pepper 8% (Korea), Corn syrup, purified water, chili sauce (chili powder 5.2%, salt, garlic, onion / China),
Salt (domestic), iso-malto-oligosaccharides, alcohol, yeast powder, eventually (zymogen)

Hot pepper rice paste, mmmm.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
maangchi on YouTube is my Korean food sherpa and she's got this one detailed out for sure. I bought some 2 months ago but just got to make the time to use it. Anyway it seems like hot pepper paste & seasame oil are the two items she uses most frequently in the recipes I've bookmarked.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gochujang

• Thanks
Thanks y'all! I just noticed the letters from our very own alphabet on the bottom of the front label. I think I need to be fooling with this stuff very soon. I've never, ever cooked Korean, but I sure do like Korean BBQ and I love love love the food from the Kogi and Chego restaurant, which is Korean mixed with food/flavors from other cultures.

It's not that hot gtr, not like scotch bonnet and so on.
I do quite a bit of Korean cooking, yell if you want any help or recipes.
A balance of garlic, chili, sesame , scallions, soy sauce is the base for many a great dish, oh and pickles.
Love their pickles.

• Thanks
Back