Is there a foil and rest period with chicken halves?

jrn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi! Doing chicken halves on the uds. Will they need to be foiled and allowed to rest afterwards? Wasn't really sure. If so, how long? Thanks! :)

For a juicier finished product, YES.

There is ALWAYS a rest needed to allow the molecules to slow down and let the juices redistribute into the fibers of the meat so they don't OOZE out all over the plate when carving.

For a 1/2 chicken, I'd give it the same amount as a steak, say 10 minutes. The chicken will hold heat longer than the steak too, being a large piece of meat with more mass and thickness.

• Thanks
Reactions: jrn
Thanks. I'll definitely foil then. Also, if the chicken won't be eaten for a couple of hours, should I just leave it foiled? :)

I don't foil chicken, although you certainly could. I prefer to rest under a foil tent, not in foil. I really try to get the chicken finished just before serving, or long before and serve it cold. But, yes, it can be tented or panned and foiled and held in a warmer for a while.

• Thanks
If you want to enjoy the skin, I'd suggest not foiling it. Let it rest on the counter for 15 minutes, will still be plenty hot.

Wrapping in foil will certainly make the skin go soft and rubbery. If we're talking skinless breasts, then it should'nt be a problem at all.

Long term hold with skin on, I don't know, maybe drop the naked bird or halves in a pre heated ice chest naked, sitting in a foil tray to catch any juices

• Thanks
No foiling here... Just cook rest for a few and serve, I can't imagine it having anymore juice.

• Thanks
Don't overcook and don't foil, unless you finish your chicken way too early and need to keep it warm

• Thanks
Back