18.5 lb brisket advice

eggzlot

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I am smokin' an 18.5 brisket that I need done by 5pm on Saturday. Won't be eaten til about 7, but need to put in a cooler by 5 to transport to where we are having dinner, so will have at least 2 hours to rest, possibly more if done earlier.

I would prefer to not mess with too much foil and just leave it uncovered the whole time (like a crunchy bark).

I'd also prefer not to wake up at 3am to do a high heat cook.

So I want to start today. Problem is, I have another dinner to go to so I will not be home today from about 5-9, which is likely when I would want to start.

I am using a XL BGE, so not worried about being around to tend to a fire so should I put the brisket on at 3pm today and by 5pm I'll know its stable and I can leave for the dinner tonight, or should I start the fire before I leave for the party, get it stable, but put the brisket on right when I get home, about 9pm tonight?

Thinking if I do 9pm tonight, I'll have to wake up in the AM and judge if I need to boost up the temps a bit?

I usually keep the egg around 250 on the dome for a cook like this, but maybe I should kick it up in the AM to 275?

Any thoughts around here?

Smoke it to 195 today. When at 195 put into the freezer whole till it hits 39 degrees.Dont let it freeze. Then transfer it to the fridge. On Saturday at 2pm crank the oven to 300 double wrap in foil add a cup of beef stock and cook till 200 or till it probes good. Should be a couple hours. Pop it in the cooler and go.

I would put it on this afternoon, safer option with fewer options for headaches in my opinion. I would probably put it on at noon to be honest. You could wrap with butcher paper.

I was able to get it on by 2:45.

Would you wrap at 165? Part of me just wants to let it rip thru, no foil, no butcher paper, etc, but I fear a big piece of meat like this may dry out.

So pondering the foil later in the cook.

Thoughts?

Meat only dries out if it is over cooked. I would go HH but less room for error doing HH, low and slow is very forgiving even a cave man could do it.
Get 2 aluminum roasting pans and sit side by side, where pans meet cover with foil so no liquid leaks, sit a grate on top of the aluminum roasters, add some liquid to the roasters, set the brisket fat side up on top of the grate and let it crank around 325-350 through out the cook. Start probing for d oneness around the 5hr mark, no need to check temps just probe.

well I gambled, and I lost.

The brisket was ready at 8:15 am :-( Serving it at 6pm tonight

I have it in a cooler with my maverick thermometer, I figure when it gets down to about 150/160 I'll put it in the fridge, and I guess put into a pan/foil with some juices I saved and re-heat til it gets to about 145/150 internal?

Back