Smoking Bones For Dogs.

pmad

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this.

First, I checked with my vet. Large bones (cow femur) are great for for dogs.
He said just make certain there's not a lot of raw meat on them.
They come frozen from the butcher so that should help with any nasties that might be on them.

So, I'm going to smoke a few for my dogs.

Here are my thoughts based upon personal experience and zero expertise.

1. I do not want to cure them as I think the concentrated salt and sugar would not be good for dogs.
2. I want to smoke low and slow because I don't want them to become brittle.
3. Let the dog chew for a day or two and then pitch it. The smoke is a natural preservative, but I think longer than two days is risking nasties.
4. Nothing added. Just raw bone on smoker.

Ok, what are your thoughts?
Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help out here.

Thanks

I give my dogs those bones frozen as is, they never get sick being raw( only bone marrow in them) and they chew longer being frozen. They're kinda like frozen treats.

Done

a few smoked. I couldn't tell you if they preferred raw or smoked........they chow em down either way. :becky: I wouldn't add anything to them. As for any meat left on em, I don't think a few chunks here and there won't hurt em. I do recommend tossing em away after a day. They can get maggots in them pretty quickly. Not good for Fido.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73216&highlight=boning

Bob

Koda_zps3d705fb2.jpg
I have a Siberian Husky.I give him the bone from my pork butts.

Following good food handling practices is a good habit, but these are animals that chew on month old dead deer carcases and rip rabits in half and roll around in poop.

Following good food handling practices is a good habit, but these are animals that chew on month old dead deer carcases and rip rabits in half and roll around in poop.

Believe me.
The other day, we were traveling with my dog.
She was in her crate.

My son called out from the back seat "the dog just puked"
I said, "I'll pull over in a second"
He: "don't worry about it, she just ate it."

Last edited:
Believe me.
The other day, we were traveling with my dog.
She was in her crate.

My son called out from the back seat "the dog just puked"
I said, "I'll pull over in a second"
He: "don't worry about it, she just a are it."

ACKKKK!!!!!

and here I am trying to eat lunch... :drama::icon_smil

I have a Siberian Husky.I give him the bone from my pork butts.

The cooked bone? I heard it was dangerous to give dogs cooked bones because of splintering, but is it the case with the bone of the pork butt as well? I gave my dog the bone from a smoked pork butt before and she loved it.. gobbled it done fast.

The only bones my dogs get are the cut up soup bones the butcher sells. Pork butt bones are not good for them by no means....NOT a good idea.

If your worried about the raw meat you could boil the bones first. I know someone who used to boil pigs ears and cow hides with a few bouillon cubes. Dog loved it.

I give my hound beef bones all the time, raw or cooked. I also make smoked dog treats out of pig skin when I make bacon. Never had a problem.

Only time I have had a problem with giving him a bone is when I de-boned a leg of lamb, used the femur for making gravy, then tossed it to my dog outside. The bone was too soft and he ate it. How do I know? Because he then came inside and puked it all over my carpet. That will ruin your night.

Back