Buckboard Brisket

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selma, TX(You better slow down when you hit town)
Would it work? That is, taking the buckboard bacon cure and applying it to a brisket?

I bought a small packer tonight and I am going to try it. Will apply the cure tomorrow and should be ready to smoke by Sunday.

Don't forget to take pictures. I would definately like to know how it comes out.

Cured brisket = corned beef. Smoke it and you have pastrami.

Just a different flavor from the buckboard cure. Should be good!

Ron_L said:
Cured brisket = corned beef. Smoke it and you have pastrami. Just a different flavor from the buckboard cure. Should be good!

Damn straight, I think that might be really good.

jgh1204,

Do you think 8 days of cure time is right? What kind of thickness do you have on the brisket? I would think 5 or 6 days may do it, especially if you season it like pastrami when smoking.

Sounds like you would have Pastrami that has bacon taste to it, might be interesting, me personally, I love pastrami, but I love Bacon as well, what a dilima to have!! Please post picks and give us a taste report when you are finished.

Here are the results.

I put the cure on Saturday evening, the 14th. On the 21st, I rinsed them off thoroughly and then put them into a container of water for another 2 hours. I had small stream of water going into the container.

I sliced the flat portion off the brisket and put it into the oven at 225 for 4 hours.

The other half went onto my brinkman grill that I was using as a smoker. Using pecan and charcoal. 225 degrees for 5 hours in the smoke. When it it hit 160, I wrapped the brisket and put it into the oven at 225 until it hit 180.

The portion cooked as corned beef was way to salty and I did not have much hope for the prastrami half. But, the pastrami came out great. A bit tough, but very good taste.

I will definitely try this again.

Attachments

• DSCF0494.JPG
    DSCF0494.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCF0495.JPG
    DSCF0495.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 484
Next time, I think I will only go with about 4 or 5 days on the cure. Plus, I will only go with doing it as pastrami. I think it needs to cook a bit longer to get a bit more tender.'

I know it does not have to be brisket tender, but it either needs to be more tender or I need to buy a meat slicer so I can slice it thinner.

Taste report. The corned beef was ok, but nothing special. As noted, a little salty.

The pastrami, a touch salty, but not too bad. Good smokey flavor. Could taste the beef with a little ham overtones. My wife loved it.

The pictures look good!

I think the cure says to allow 1 day for each inch of thickness, or something like that, so 4 or 5 days should be fine.

I'm a bit confused, but its not the first time.

I've never cooked buck board bacon

From this thread, can I understand correctly that buck board bacon tastes like pastrami?

Just asking, cuz jgh says he cooked something "as pastrami" which I think is the flat in the oven. Still not clear on that though, but its been a loooong day

Go back up and re-read the first post in the thread. Normally, buckboard bacon is made using a pork butt, but jgh1204 used a brisket instead. A cured brisket is basically corned beef, and smoked corned beef is pastrami. But with buckboard bacon cure.

No wonder you're confused... :rolleyes:

Ron_L said:
Go back up and re-read the first post in the thread. Normally, buckboard bacon is made using a pork butt, but jgh1204 used a brisket instead. A cured brisket is basically corned beef, and smoked corned beef is pastrami. But with buckboard bacon cure.

No wonder you're confused... :rolleyes:

Um, I read the thread

Help me one last step.

I understand that smoked corned beef (brisket) is pastrami.

I understand that a cured brisket is corned beef.

I understand that buck board bacon is usually done with pork butt.

So is buck board bacon taste like corned beef (or rather, corned pork?)

I am REALLY interested in understanding this, for I was going to ask Santa for Hi-Mountain cure. But if the butt will come out tasting like "corned" anything, that is just one more hole to dig :wink:

From what I understand......Buckboard bacon is just a home kit for making/curing bacon....no "corning" involved

First, corning is just a form of curing. The original procress isn't really used any more. Here is more info on the history of corned beef.

To corn beef, you can either use a dry cure or a wet cure. The buckboard bacon kit is a dry cure. It is designed with seasonings that will give a flavor that i smuch like what we call canadian bacon around here when used on a pork butt or pork loin.

Second. Pastramizing (is that a word) is the process of smoking a piece of cured beef. It is a process, not a specific flavor. You'll find many different recipes for pastrami that use different spices and seasonings and will taste differently.

So... By putting the beef into the buckboard bacon cure, jgh cured (or corned) it. Then he pastramized it by smoking it. The flavors came from the buckboard bacon cure, so it probably had a more bacon-llike flavor than a more traditional cure would have provided, but it should have been different than pork done in the same cure.

Back