• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mini WSM Question - Loose Vent

tb80

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I bought a Smokey Joe Silver off Craigslist. Overall it was in great condition, except the bottom vent seemed a little loose. It works just fine, but does not seem to have an air tight seal.

Is it worth replacing or will the loose vent not really affect the air flow that much? Are they hard to replace? Is there a way to tighten it up?

I'd say do a few cooks with it like it is and see how you like it before getting concerned about it.

Definitely do a few cooks with it. It will gunk up some and make the fit of the damper tighter.

What They Said !

Youll prob be ok ....It will be easier to adjust if you dont add a handle and even easier if you do add a handle

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I guess I am used to my 22.5 weber silver. I can shut that baby down and the fire goes out and I have leftover charcoal. With the smokey joe it is not air tight enough to do that.

How many lit coals do you add when starting up the mini wsm?

Thanks guys. I guess I am used to my 22.5 weber silver. I can shut that baby down and the fire goes out and I have leftover charcoal. With the smokey joe it is not air tight enough to do that.

Depends on how hot you want your fire to be. I use lump because I wasn't getting the temps I wanted with briqs, so I just kinda eyeball it - if I'm doing chix, maybe around 1/2 chimney? Not sure. I have the bottom still on the pot with holes drilled out btw - I may cut it out, still not sure about that. Sometimes I start it with the weedburner, so I don't really know. Frankly, I don't even pay that much attention to temps anymore either, I just put my hand over the exhaust and feel for the heat. You kinda just need to get in there and do it, see what works, what doesn't work, and take it from there.

I start maybe a dozen or so briqs that is usually more than enough for me to get my mini up to the temp I want

I start maybe a dozen or so briqs that is usually more than enough for me to get my mini up to the temp I want

Last time I cooked on it I filled the bottom with kingsford blue bag and put 10 lit coals. The temp shot above 400. I have a clay pot diffuser in it. Vents started fully open and then I shut them down. Took awhile before it got down around 300.

Back