Hot N' Fast Competition Time-lines?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone here do everything HnF and have a rough schedule they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm planning on cooking close to 300* for my first KCBS competition, and I'm wondering if anyone else out there would mind providing some tips in terms of time-lines for cooking hot like this.

Thanks!

You might get some additional help if you told us what you'd be cooking on:wink:

What works in one pit, may not work in another.

FEC-100. Sorry. I guess that's a real good point. 300* for one cooker isn't the same as for another.

I was going to say the same thing, but Jorge beat me to it. 300* on one cooker will cook things to different time and temp than another. Variables such as convection and relative humidity affect cook timing as much as temperature. The easiest way to figure out the timing is to prepare a pork butt and a brisket as you would for a competition and press start on a timer keeping track of how long it takes for them to finish. Add two to three hours to that total to give yourself plenty of working room and then work backwards from turn-in time to figure out what time they need to go on the cooker at the contest. Easy peasy! :wink: The same can go for chicken and ribs, but you can decide if you are comfortable adding in lee-way time to the cook. We do not.

Last edited:
Here's mine for bullets...cooking butts, brisket & chicken @ 300-325...ribs @ 250...hope it helps!
Good luck! :p
JD

6:00 AM On site
6:30 AM Fire butt wsm, re-rub butts, re-rub ribs
7:00 AM Butts on, fire brisket wsm, fire rib wsm
7:30 AM Brisket on, ribs on
9:00 AM Check pork butts, rub chicken
9:30 AM Check briskets, check pork(foil), spritz ribs
10:00 AM Fire chicken wsm, spritz ribs, check brisket, check pork
10:30 AM Chicken on, spritz ribs, check pork, check brisket(foil)
11:00 AM Prep chicken glaze, ck chkn, spritz ribs, ck pork, ck brisket
11:30 AM Glaze ckn, prep ckn box, prep rib glaze, ck pork, ck brisket
12:00 PM Turn in chicken, glaze ribs, prep rib box, check briskets
12:30 PM Turn in ribs, prep pork box, prep pork sauce
1:00 PM Turn in pork, slice brisket, prep brisket sauce
1:30 PM Turn in brisket

FEC-100. Sorry. I guess that's a real good point. 300* for one cooker isn't the same as for another.

I've got some limited experience there, and I wouldn't try hot and fast.

The beauty of the FE is the sleep, and consistent results it can provide. The fire burns clean enough that the normal challenge, according to most, is to get enough smoke flavor in the meat...and that doesn't even address the smoke ring that isn't supposed to be judged.

If that's the cooker you are using, I'd be asking about how best to cook with it. My personal experience is that it's not suited to hot and fast.

That's my personal opinion only, and I wish you the best of luck no matter what you choose to do.

Thanks JD!

Jorge, I've had great results lately with HnF from my FEC.

I also modified it to have an expanded metal grate attached to the firebox where I can add wood chunks for additional smoke. It really seems to have helped add to the smoke ring and smoke flavor.

Are you cooking live oak? If so look me up Thursday or Friday and we can talk fe cooking. I've been using them since 2006. Be glad to share.

Did HnF on Woodmaster T1000 yesterday. Kept a steady 300 for the full cook. Brisket and butts on at 7 am. One little butt got done at 2, the bigger one went to 3:30. Brisket off at 3. Did not wrap. Chicken on at 3 and done at 4. Pulled off a bit sooner than I would at a competition because it was reheating for lunch today. No leftovers!

I'm no help on the hot-n-fast, I go low-n-slow on my FEC100, but I would love to see pics of how you modified yours

Back