• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

White Sauce at Comps?

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone used a white sauce for your chicken and noticed a difference in your scores?

I know that we like things pretty sweet here in the north east, so it probably wouldn't fly up here. Just wondering if other parts of the country have success with it.

Eric

Very bad idea IMO. Maybe Thom Emery will stop by to share his experience using a white sauce.

I've seen it win a sauce contest in Florida....but don't turn it in...there will always be a judge or two that will not be impressed.

EJ (Pappa Hog) did it on chicken one year at Princeton. I tasted it, the chicken was outstanding! Probably one of the best entries I've ever tasted the sauce was a perfect compliment.

He tanked it from what I remember.

I like my mustard sauce about 10,000 times better than any other sauce I make for pork, but I would never think about putting mustard on a turn in anywhere in the midwest.

Off topic, but interesting...

I know of one of the best cooks in the country that puts a gravy-like sauce on his brisket and killllllllls with it. I'm not talking about one of the top 100 teams or top 50 teams or even top 25 teams...I'm talking about one of the best in the world.

I'm talking about holiday style gravy, too. I've attempted it at the house, but just can't get the stones to put it out there.

I was in love with the idea of a white sauce, till I tried it. I tried 4 different recipes, didn't like any of them.
Isn't white sauce and vinegar BBQ sauce from the Carolinas? I think it is.
I'm sorry I don't like either one. I want to like them, but I don't I have tried several times.

white sauce originated from alabama, big bob gibson not the carolinas

big johns white sauce(modified,less wooster, and no 3 day marinade)is one of the best compliments to chicken i have ever tasted. ever. ever. funny thing is, though you dip the chicken in it multiple times during the cook and then(in a clean bowl of sauce)at the end, you really see no evidence of a sauce. just a beautiful gloss to the skin.

anyway, once i get a couple top 5's or so:roll:with some red sauced thighs, i GUARANTEE, i will throw this out there a few times.

but right now, i hung my AC/DC's out there enough with the wings...

As a judge, I would not count you down for the style of sauce that you choose to use. However, it had better be a really good, well balanced white sauce.

One question that always goes through my mind while judging is 'what is this cook trying to do here?' and then 'did he/she do the best they could'.

As a judge, I would not count you down for the style of sauce that you choose to use. However, it had better be a really good, well balanced white sauce.

One question that always goes through my mind while judging is 'what is this cook trying to do here?' and then 'did he/she do the best they could'.

shouldn't every sauce be a well balanced sauce? regardless of white, red, or whatever?

that suggests i can turn in just an OK red sauce and score well with you.

that isn't really judging on the merits of the individual entry.

wouldn't EVERY sauce better be a really good well balanced sauce?
Yep. EVERY sauce had better be a really good, well balanced sauce.

What's wrong with that?

Each entry should be judged on its own merits and not compared to others.

If it's just OK - then you didn't achieve 'excellence in BBQ'.

Well balanced - and outstanding is what we're looking for.

The Des Moines Iowa Symphony can do an OK job with a piece of music, but the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra can do a far superior job . . . and keep it just as well balanced.

I hope this helps.

Yep. EVERY sauce had better be a really good, well balanced sauce.

What's wrong with that?

Each entry should be judged on its own merits and not compared to others.

If it's just OK - then you didn't achieve 'excellence in BBQ'.

Well balanced - and outstanding is what we're looking for.

The Des Moines Iowa Symphony can do an OK job with a piece of music, but the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra can do a far superior job . . . and keep it just as well balanced.

I hope this helps.

excellent. in that case, i'd hope my white sauce hits your table. :thumb:

my thoughts on white sauce...

really, IMHO white compliments poultry far better than red. red overpowers poultry.

look at french cooking, (they KNOW how to cook and make sauce) other than coq au vin, chicken for the most part is sauced "white". chicken get supplemented by fat, cream, butter, etc.

and it is a meat contest, right?

Very bad idea IMO. Maybe Thom Emery will stop by to share his experience using a white sauce.

Well the story goes
Tried 6 Red sauce Drumettes with 6 Whites sauce Drumettes
Beautiful Box
Thank God for the Thai Peanut butter Chicken entry
that cushioned my fall to second to last
Never cook outside the mainstream

Back