Master Judge ?

Trainwreck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We were approached by a couple of judges at the Sam's Club comp in Madison. They asked if they could cook with us as they were going for their master judging status. They asked to cook a specific event as they would be judging that day. Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought they had to cook the entire contest with you. If not wouldnt they be able to possibly see what you are turning in and judge unfairly. Also if they cook with you do you need to prep everything at the contest to show them exactly how it works or can you still get your meats ready ahead of time(obviously not inejecting and rub).
Thanks
Andy

They would (should) not be allowed to judge if they have been with you the day of judging. There are rules about judges fraternizing with teams on turn in day. Also, how would they observe what goes on in building a box and placing meat into it if they had to go to the judging area before any meat was boxed? I think these future Master judges may already be judge #6:p.

This is the rule from the KCBS
2011 Official
Rules and Regulations
Judging Procedures

1) Judges may not fraternize with teams on turn​
in day

until conclusion of judging.

And if they think they can get away with just cooking one category, they obviously haven't read the Master Judge Verification Form for working with a contest team which specifically has fields for the head cook to fill out indicating how much time the judge spent with the team on both Friday and Saturday (among other things).

From the CBJ FAQs doc available for download from the KCBS site:

How do I become a Master Judge?

• You must judge 30 KCBS sanctioned contests and cook at a contest (that you are NOT judging) with another team. You do not have to judge the 30 contests prior to cooking with a team. You may also count up to 10 table captain assignments in your 30 contests, but no more than 10 can be used towards your Master Judge certification.

no way

Those judges should know waaaaay better than to ask you what they did, no matter how new they are. Either they are totally clueless, or have a significant disregard for multiple (maybe all) rules.

I would suggest that you consider declining any future requests you get from them, they appear to be trouble looking for a place to happen, which no team needs.

Laird

KCBS Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain
ABS Pit Boss, BWS Patio, Hasty Bake, Okie State Orange Thermapen

EXCELLENT write up! If you dont mind, I'm going to send it to a few potential team mates. You've pretty much documented the actual team experience, from set-up, Friday's meal, Friday night interruptions, and the inevitable conflicts (best made plans always change, don't they?), through turn-in, post-turn-in crash, awards, and tear down. It was great!

last year I had 3 contests where judges cooked with me as part of their master judge qualification. I had them there to help with setup, trim meat - yes I made them scrape chicken skin. They helped season it, stayed until the big stuff went on the FE's, were back at 5:30 for ribs and ran the boxes even in the pouring rain.

All of them thanked me, told me they were amazed at how much work went into doing a contest and were all exhausted at the end. All 3 were also willing to do whatever I asked and without question. They are all good judges IMHO.

Even if you pre trim I'd bring a package of chicken, show them how to do it and say do the box. If it looks good you can use it next contest.

I'd never let more than 1 help at a contest as they need the "full" experience.

I'm a firm believer in having the judge do the whole experience from set-up through tear-down. Let him (or her) taste the food, inspect the box and mentally give a score on each catagory. Then after the awards hand the score sheet to the judge & listen while he says "What the fark were those judges thinking?"

I had a call last week from a judge that lived 2 states away that ask me to cook with me for his master. He offered to pay for everything and travel in or meet me at a contest in his area. I had to decline and told him to track down a team in his area.

In my opinion, these aren't Master Judge candidates, they are cheaters looking for a free lunch. If you know their names, call KCBS and turn them in. We need lots of good judges, not folks like this just looking for a free lunch. This really ****es me off!!!

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I thought I was right about them having to cook the entire contest with me but I was not sure. When I asked them they really had no idea of what they needed to do. I had 2-ladies ask to cook with me and one gentleman. The man knew exactly what he was suppose to do but the two ladies were the ones that really had no clue. I left it as they needed to call me in a week or so and we can discuss it. At that time I will probe them for a little more info and if need be I will make a call to the KCBS. Again thank you everyone for all of the help. There is a reason I hang my Brethren banner with pride at each contest and the help that is offered up here is just one of the reasons why.
Andy

Andy ,if you were not such a damn nice guy these people wouldnt ask you to do this...Either that or they have seen your beverage selection and are liking that . :becky::becky::becky::becky:

Silly question but the rule makes it unclear, if you are a regular competitor and then judge 30 contests want to be a mcbj, do you still have to go cook with another team?

Silly question but the rule makes it unclear, if you are a regular competitor and then judge 30 contests want to be a mcbj, do you still have to go cook with another team?

Not reall so silly because it IS unclear. I know of cook teams where one member has signed the MCBJ form for another member of the team and I've heard of signing your own form, but I can't think of any names right off the top of my head. I'd say that if you were to sign your own form that you should keep a copy of your score sheet in case questions come up later.

Back