Where to get shirts/

Chipper

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Im looking to get a few (10 or so) custom embroidered "Dickie's" type shirts for our BBQ team. Any suggestions from the Brethren?

www.landsend.com/ does our embroided shirts.

There will be a setup charge for the initial design, but then you can have it embroidered on just about anything. The clothing is generally high quality.

If you want to go the less expensive silkscreened route, www.zazzle.com will let you edit their stock shirts or create your own online. No setup charge, and I think the custom shirts are only $5 more than the stock shirts. They mostly have just t-shirts though.

Are you just looking for the shirts ? If so, if you have an Outlet Mall near you, go to the Vanity Fair Store, they are the Outlet store for Red Knapp work shirts and they have them there, usually about $5.00 a shirt. Then you can get them embroidered.

In the pic below is the type of shirt they have (I am the guy on the left)

2010HolidayParty014.jpg

I got mine here at a local printer/silkscreen shop. It will save you some set up fees if you already have your design on a cd or flash drive. Most shops I talked with required a certain amount (gross) if multiple colors were used. I ended up getting 12 doz white tees with 6 colors that cost a little over 5 bucks ea. Spent way more than I wanted, but they will last awhile. Check yellow pages in your area for printers/embroiders etc. Good luck.

I think I want some mechanic type shirts with the white nametag.

Just got some embroidered polo shirts, aprons and visors from Queensboro for the team. Nice. Good quality, great prices and and quick turn around time.
x3 for Queensboro

I'm in the T-shirt and Promotional Products world (Or Branded materials). I only do large corporate and non-for-profit work, so I can't do them for everyone, but I can give some advice on the subject.

Lands End is a good place to get embroidery done on Polo shirts as well as jackets and fleece. If you want to stay local normally you can find a team or HS school spirit shop that can help you as well.

If you want t-shirts I recommend a local screen printer over Zazzle. Zazzle is good for 11 or under pieces, but if you can do 12 total I recommend going local.

Note: The more colors on a t-shirt the higher the price, especially on a low quantity (24 and below).

An embroidery set up charge can range from $40.00 to $120.00 depending on the stitch count. You can use the "embroidery tape" on hats, shirts, bags or anything you need. When you get an embroidery file set up, ask them when you get done to email you the DST logo file. That way you can use it with whomever and whenever you need it in the future. This will save you money down the road!

For Screen print, the set up charges will run between $10.00 to $20.00 per color/per location. You can do a digital print if the vendor offers but the colors are dull.

Other notes:

Cotton prices have gone up 10-20% over the last 12 months so expect to pay more for t-shirts than you have in the past.

Color t-shirts are more expensive than white shirts. I recommend a Gildan 100% 6.1 oz cotton shirt. It's your best bang for your buck. Don't let them talk you into just a T-shirt as there are some cheap and crap brands out there.

I know more info than needed :bored: but just trying to save you guys some money if I can. Donkey Punch BBQ might not get a lot of calls, but we are always well dressed!!!

I run a screen printing company out of Omaha Nebraska. Gildan is a decent brand and will hold up nicely, I will say that a 50/50 blend will fit better over the long run than a 100% cotton shirt. 100% tend to shrink up and don't breathe all that well. Just a suggestion. Thanks and good luck.

I think I want some mechanic type shirts with the white nametag.

My brother had these made for his restaurant a few years ago. May see about have a SIDE patch made to add to it now that the restaurant is closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm late to the party, but I just got an order of hats from Queensboro Shirt.

Awesome.

Great quality and great prices.

Edit: and only a 4 piece minimum order!

Last edited:
I got our shirts at a local screenprinter for about $5.00 per. They were only one color for the print, but the shirts were black and very good quality (sorry... don't know the brand) 100% cotton.
2010CookOffKickOff.jpg

Back