View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post

I didn't like this idea at first but after thinking about I've come around. It also makes it easier to remove a rack when one of the thermometers is in the meat. Do you put anything around the notch to minimize escaping air?
I cut a vertical notch in the lip, just deep enough to accommodate 2-3 probe wires, with a a wee bit of play so that the wires are not mashed against the drum edge. The air gap is really minimal. I did line the notch with a small bit of foil to protect the probe wires from the metal edge of the drum. The notch works much better then other options. I have done this for both of my drums, and will soon cut notches in all of my cookers... just having a hard time thinking about cutting notches in my kettle though!

Have you read some of the other threads on here re: Arduino based controllers? You may be the first to assemble an Android based one. Of course, the Heatermeter is a superb (and superbly documented) project.

[oh btw - how did you manage to quote multiple posts in your reply? I have been on here a couple of years and have not been able to figure it out!!]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote