• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tri-tips and a Butterflied Butt

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a Creekstone Farms natural black angus tri-tip to compare to a normal select grade tri-tip.
IMG_6360_zps0ed3bc65.jpg

Seasoned them both with some Rub Co Santa Maria rub and put them on the Hasty-Bake with some pinquito beans and some red oak for smoke:
IMG_6369_zps797d8092.jpg

Gave them a little sear to finish & sliced them up after a rest:
IMG_6376_zps165f987d.jpg

IMG_6387_zps34b8b086.jpg

IMG_6389_zpsfbc7246c.jpg

My plate:
IMG_6392_zps7b1f19df.jpg

The tri-tip cook was entered into the Tri-Tip Feast Throwdown finishing up today over at: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171752

Earlier in the morning I cooked a butt on the Large BGE that I'd deboned & butterflied and seasoned with some Oakridge Secret Weapon. Thanks again to KC Mike for the rub! Secret Weapon was tasty & I'm looking forward to other cooks with it.
IMG_6313_zpsb483e049.jpg

IMG_6318_zpsc4f1fa4c.jpg

IMG_6325_zps66c070e2.jpg

First time I've cooked a butterflied butt and it was interesting (fast cook, more bark, and I got some decent chunks & pulled). Here's the pulled pork with a little Big Butz Cranberry sauce mixed in:
IMG_6342_zps2e4bd253.jpg

It was a good day for cooking. Thanks for looking!

food all looks great, as usual.

never thought about cooking a butt that way. how much time does it cut off the cook??

Good thing I topped off before I read this or I'd be on feedin frenzey. :p Where did you get that rack the butt is cookin on?

Good thing I topped off before I read this or I'd be on feedin frenzey. :p Where did you get that rack the butt is cookin on?

i have one like that i purchased at our bge dealer when thew were open.

amazon has them.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Green-Primo-Kamado-Ceramic-Grills/dp/B001EF1SHY"]Amazon.com: V Rib Rack for Big Green Egg, Primo, Kamado Ceramic Grills: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

food all looks great, as usual.

never thought about cooking a butt that way. how much time does it cut off the cook??

Thanks Jason! It started off as a 7 1/2 lb bone-in butt which I'd normally cook in about 7 hours. This one was done in 4 1/2 hrs. I expected it to be faster but not that fast.

I'm pretty sure I bought it from my BGE dealer a few years ago. Looks identical to the one deepsouth linked.

Back