question on foiling ribs

Ken V

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am doing 9 slabs of BB's and 2 butts for the race tomorrow on the stumps. Has anyone mass foiled their ribs, say 3 or 4 per a alum. pan instead of individually. I didn't know if this would change anything or not.

Thanks,

Ken

I've never done it (I don't foil ribs), but I've heard reports that it works just fine. Good luck with your cook! Be sure and post pics.

I dont use a pan, but if I am doing alot, like 9+ ribs. I usually wrap 2-3 slabs together. Works fine just like wrapping a single slab. Then I usually glaze with sauce and let firm up a little on a grill or get the cooker up a little higher in temp.

I am doing 9 slabs of BB's and 2 butts for the race tomorrow on the stumps. Has anyone mass foiled their ribs, say 3 or 4 per a alum. pan instead of individually. I didn't know if this would change anything or not.

Thanks,

Ken

Done it. 4 slabs in foil tray. Worked fine.

Works great!:biggrin:

Looks like I'm the odd man out on this one......I do them individually with the reasoning that the meat side is down in the pouch, in contact with the juices.

Well the big raceday smoke that didn't happen(I have to put a note on the smoker about the camera) turned out great. The 2 butts took just under 12 hours and the ribs came out great. When I hit the 2 hour mark, I put 4 slabs in one tray and the other 5 in another. I had to kind of lean them against each other but got them in. Foiled and let them got for an hour and then pulled adn put back on the grates for another hour. To tell ya the truth I couldn't tell from the mass foiled ribs to the ones I've done by themselves. I think if I am doing 4 and under I will still wrap individual but over 5 they are all going in the pool together.

Thanks,

Ken

Back