What to cook for Sunday Dinner when low on cash??

B

BIGBrandon2785

I have 4lbs of frozen hamburger and 20 bucks...............any thoughts??

Meatloaf smokes up great. Bake some potatoes along side. You got meat and potatoes covered so any green veggies or dessert you want can be added if you feel the need.

I guess it really depends on how may you need to feed.
If you need to stretch your $20 and 4 pounds of meat I wouldn't
go with BBQ. Pasta Bolognese will give you a big bang for the buck
and feed a hungry group.

If your plan is to smoke your meal I agree with the already suggested meatloaf and chicken.

BBQ mafia is right on the money.
BBQ is meat centric and not a way to stretch ground beef.
Bologna isle and pasta will feed 4 times the people, as will lasagna or chili with beans even

Smoked meatloaf made with the hamburger, homemade garlic mashers, some steamed or roasted veg like brocolli, asparagus, greenbeans or peas.

You can stretch $20 pretty far if you shop smart as well as buy fresh produce over canned/frozen produce and prep it yourself.

What else do you have in the pantry or freezer? Some of the best meals I've made have been cobbled together with what's on hand.

Yeah it depends on your spice rack and whatnot but if it were me, I'd be buying eggs, flour, tomatoes/tomato sauce and make some spaghetti, or buy some stewed tomatoes, beans, rice, tortillas, things of that nature.

All depends on what else is in your fridge and in your cupboards, you can make a lot of really good stuff with 20 bucks if it's just you to feed. If it's more than you... just make spaghetti or chili.

The grocery stores around here most always have a "looney bin"... local slang for sale items close to exp date.....now i would never buy chicken or pork from there but steaks and chucky's are a different matter.....you might check that out.....

Big old pot of Chili, serve it over Baked potatoes and top it with cheddar cheese.( think chili cheese fries)

Yeah it depends on your spice rack and whatnot but if it were me, I'd be buying eggs, flour, tomatoes/tomato sauce and make some spaghetti, or buy some stewed tomatoes, beans, rice, tortillas, things of that nature.

All depends on what else is in your fridge and in your cupboards, you can make a lot of really good stuff with 20 bucks if it's just you to feed. If it's more than you... just make spaghetti or chili.

+1 and what BBQMAFIA said. Pasta is cheap and goes a long way with a nice meat sauce.

If you just feel you need to smoke something, why not do up some cabbage rolls, cabbage is cheap and one head makes a lot, there have been some post on them lately. Also as mentioned meatloaf is a good one. This is not smoked, but how about some hamburger gravy with fried potatoes or even mashed. Sloppy Joe's, with some home fries perhaps, or cheese burger casserole. Hamburger stew, hamburger hash, meatball with either spaghetti or some other pasta, how about Swedish meat balls with noodles. Then if you still need to smoke or grill try some bacon wrapped hamburger steaks.
Dave

Back