Reverse Sear Tri-Tip on the Egg

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Skillet roasted Yukon Gold spud wedges with EVOO and Spike seasoning, Delicata squash with butter and brown sugar and a 2lb Angus Tri-Tip roast with Santa Maria seasoning (fresh Rosemary, black pepper, garlic, sea salt and Oregano) 450* dome indirect to start platesetter legs up 40 minutes. Wicked Good and Oak wine barrel chips for smoke.

100_3092.jpg

Removed platesetter and did a reverse sear 10 minutes per side

100_3093.jpg

100_3094.jpg

100_3095.jpg

Turned out great! wish the last pic did it justice.

Looks great. The last pic did it justice. Thats the beer goggle lense.

Already hit a couple beers, that last pick was the only one in focus and let me tell you that looked delicious.

I've got to give the "reverse sear" a tri on my next tri-tip.

Great job.

I'm with jp...^^^...what's this "reverse sear" you speak of? :cool: Good lookin' vittles though! :p

What's a reverse sear?

A reverse sear is when you start your cook indirect, continue until almost done and then finish with a brief sear on both sides. It's the "reverse" of how most would do a steak. I like this method a lot and it seems to enhance tenderness.

A reverse sear is when you start your cook indirect, continue until almost done and then finish with a brief sear on both sides. It's the "reverse" of how most would do a steak. I like this method a lot and it seems to enhance tenderness.

Hmmmmm...is this for thick cuts...like a tri-tip roast? I've been doin' steaks forever and never heard of this method...I'll have to look in to it. It's all about the flavor!...IMHO :p

It's definitely for thicker cuts. Also, I like to give my tri tips a good dose of oak smoke during the indirect cooking period. The result is a tender, juicy, smoky steak. :-D
Here's a quote from a thread on the VWB: "One way to enhance tenderness naturally is to sear at the finish. This can be a good idea for thicker cuts and roasts that aren't naturally tender--tri-tip, eye of round, knuckle, and a few others come to mind. Searing at the finish allows the meat to stay cooler longer. Natural enzymes in the meat (the ones that tenderize during dry or wet aging) accelerate their activity as the meat warms. This process slows dramatically for one type of enzyme when the meat reaches about 105F, for the other type when the meat reaches about 120F, stopping thereafter. Milking the come-up time, which is what cooking gently before searing does, can significantly increase this natural enzymatic activity and increase tenderness as a result. "

Back