• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Recipe

I just made my 2nd batch and altered my already deviated recipe as follows:
1 1/2 cup Apple Vinegar
1/2 cup Apple Juice
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Sweet Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Table Salt (iodized)
2 TBSP Tarragon Mustard
So I replaced the water and 1/4 cup of vinegar with apple juice, and once again I came to the conclusion that the Apple Cider Vinegar you have over there is not the same as simple Apple Vinegar here (and I just bought another 6 bottles of Apple Vinegar today).

I have looked through some pictures of Apple Cider Vinegar, and also it has the same amount of acidity (5%) it has a completely different color and is missing the zest. I guess this stuff is nothing like raw, unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar, but I can't believe such really is not available over here. I will have to start looking at some other places, at least it is not common and can not be found in regular super markets.

Nevertheless the new batch tastes delicious, you can not really determine the apple juice, because it is overlapped by the stronger taste of the vinegar, but it certainly adds a hint of fruitiness.

I really suggest to try this mixture, without any ready made hot sauce and water, but with apple juice and one teaspoon of your favorite pepper or chili powder instead.

Sounds good!

Going to try this tonight on some wings. This sounds very similar to Wickers (with hot sauce added) which I use ALOT. I expect this to be really really good for our taste buds.

Yesterday I had my variation of that sauce on THE BEEF in wraps, which played nicely, but not as good as the typical tomato based sauce (our sweet & tangy tomato sauce from last weekend was already finished). I should have made a photo of those wraps, they nevertheless were just awesome. :smile:

Yesterday I had my variation of that sauce on THE BEEF in wraps, which played nicely, but not as good as the typical tomato based sauce (our sweet & tangy tomato sauce from last weekend was already finished). I should have made a photo of those wraps, they nevertheless were just awesome. :smile:

:thumb:

There are parts of North Carolina where they believe it is sacrilege to put ketchup based sauce on pork or vinegar based sauce on beef. However, I think you should just go with what you like. I bet those beef wraps were tasty either way!

Decided to make up a batch tonight, had everything including Texas Pete's which is one of my favorite buffalo sauces.

Doing some ribs tomorrow evening and a big pork butt cook next weekend so looking forward to trying this sauce out.

Decided to make up a batch tonight, had everything including Texas Pete's which is one of my favorite buffalo sauces.

Doing some ribs tomorrow evening and a big pork butt cook next weekend so looking forward to trying this sauce out.

So, how did it go?

Made this sauce

After reading this thread...and seeing all the positive reviews....I decided to whip up a batch. Like people said, it took all of 2 minutes to make. I used Crystal hot sauce since that isn't really hot and has a great flavor. Depending on the final outcome, I may increase the heat in round 2.

I did take a taste right after making it and man....it's GOOD. How long should it sit (refrigerated) before being introduced to Mr. pulled pork?

Last edited:
You actually put it in the refrigerator ? Today it's ready smoke it up.

You actually put it in the refrigerator ? Today it's ready smoke it up.

I put in there since I'm not cooking until Saturday. Was just wondering how long...if at all....it needs to sit and come together. I've seen some say it's ready to go and others say let it mellow....

Oh man this is right up my alley! I have a sweet rub I use on my pork butts so this should complement it well!

I'm going to mix up a batch this weekend with some Franks Red Hot. I'm going to douse my slaw in this and slather that on top of a pulled pork sandwich, thanks for sharing!

Glad this post got a bump. Recipe Copied will try it out this weekend.

I would have to go home and dig through my notes but that sauce seems incredibly close to a baste we used to use on our pork butts. Has anyone ever tried that????

Off the top of my head I think the only difference is that we used oil instead of water.

I put in there since I'm not cooking until Saturday. Was just wondering how long...if at all....it needs to sit and come together. I've seen some say it's ready to go and others say let it mellow....

I usually let mine sit for at least 24 hours in the fridge to let everything meld together.

Thanks for posting this! I made some of this the other day with one slight modification. I added the leftover pan drippings from the smoke to it. It added a really nice smokey component to the flavor profile. Of course, I loved the recipe so much I also had to have some made up just as the recipe calls for, lol.

Back