If you can't beat 'em

C

CritterCook

Finally decided to build my own UDS. Got a couple unlined brand new drums for 25$ apiece from a local manufacturer.
Finished off one of them on a friday night, with a few parts and all the great tips and instructions I gained here.

Figured I would do some cooking on the first, and build the second with any mods needed.

Attachments

• uds 001.jpg
    uds 001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 105
  • uds 002.jpg
    uds 002.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 104
  • uds 003.jpg
    uds 003.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 104
  • uds 004.jpg
    uds 004.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 102
First cook would be three slabs of ribs. Two babys and one St. Louis.
They turned out great!

Cooked quick, great pink color and great flavor.

Attachments

• 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 000_0008.jpg
    000_0008.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 101
  • uds 005.jpg
    uds 005.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 101
looks good cant wait to see the pron coming from another UDS

lookin good, enjoy the first run.

Good thinking on holding off on the second.

You will need some sort of theft protection. Those UDS things have become quite valuable.

Way top go critter, those are some mean looking drums. the ribs looked awesome. I tell ya that is one stout looking air valve on that bad boy:cool::icon_bigsmil

I like the water faucet on the intake pipes. How do you have those bracketed to the side of the drum?

The ribs took about 4hs...I sauced them at 3 1/2, then went to flip them at 4 hrs and they basically fell apart...oops.
The air intake valves are actually brass gate valves threaded to black iron. A short nipple connects the 90 to the drum with a conduit nut. The whole assembly is connected to the drum with conduit bracket. I put it all together and then forgot to stand the brackets off the barrel so I could get the lid back on...oops again. Oh well, live and learn. The hardest part of the whole thing was drilling the large holes. Everything else is threaded, screwed, bolted and nutted (is that a word?) Should have done this years ago, but then again, I didn't know all of you then so I had no idea how.

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 77
Those look like the same barrels I started with! Nice build and great looking food! Got a brisket on my UDS right now, but fighting 30 mph wind gusts...

James.

Exhaust

Hey Critter nice drum and great us of fittings, but is your fresh air intake to close to your exhaust, looks like it'll pull your exhaust might want to put a ell on the intake to keep that from happening:!:

I thought about that. Not sure if it really mattered. Wouldn't you be drawing warm, moist, smoky air in then? Is that a bad thing?

You just gotta paint one valve handle blue and the mark the valves "Hot" and "Cold". Just to fark with people's heads! But then again, that's just my voices in my mind talking! But, 4 out of 5 voices in my head say GO-FOR-IT!

First, thats a beauty of a UDS,
Second, I need to ask, Is that fire basket made out of galvanized metal? It looks like the drywall kind expanded metal... Only way I know is because I had a basket made out of it, and one of the brethren asked me about it..from what I hear no galvanized metal..Please check...

is your fresh air intake to close to your exhaust, looks like it'll pull your exhaust might want to put a ell on the intake to keep that from happening:!:
Turbo style smoking mod right there!

Back