turn in boxes from this weekend

T

tennispro

I have been away from contest BBQ for a few years and this was my first go around with KCBS turn in boxes since 2008. Here is my chicken box and the scores I got are as follows: 887 979 575 888 989 988

I know what I see but please let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• 100_4759.jpg
    100_4759.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 387
Here is my Brisket turn in and scores. 877 887 888 888 899 879 Again I see some problems but please let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• 100_4763.jpg
    100_4763.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 381
Here is my pork box and scores. 889 987 898 878 888 998 once again I see my big issue but what do you see?

Attachments

• 100_4761.jpg
    100_4761.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 381
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for looking guys I did not take a picture of my ribs because I was so mad at how they turned out.

Chicken needs to be trimmed neater and more even, sauce is uneven. Pork box needs more meat, sauce is uneven and more popitude is needed. Brisket slices need to be more uniform.

Not bad since 2008 was your last comp. Easy things to address!

Other than the 5 in chicken (new or non-CBJ?), appearance scores look about right. Maybe a bit generous on the 9's for chicken. Certainly no disasters, but all three could be cleaned up a bit.

Other than the 5 in chicken (new or non-CBJ?), appearance scores look about right. Maybe a bit generous on the 9's for chicken. Certainly no disasters, but all three could be cleaned up a bit.

I agree the 5 in chicken was out of line, I wonder what that judge didn't like the looks of, and the tenderness also. I think it looks ok, a little blotchy with the sauce, and maybe a little more color would have helped. I would call it an 8.

The brisket lookd pretty good, nice smooth slices, although the brown specks on the right end of the face slice draw the eye. The slices look a little shiny, did you spritz right before the pic? The only thing I would suggest is to lay the slice more evenly, think how a magician fans a deck of cards, each slice has the same amount showing. I think I am with all the other judges, an 8.

The pork looks like it is sinking into the garnish, but that could just be the picture. I'm not sure what it is, buth the chunks in the back just are'nt making me want to grab some. The sauce is a little goopy on them it appears. I would call it a 7, but at the table it might get an 8.

Only little things, and nit picky, but that is what we do with pics of boxes :icon_smile_tongue: .

And welcome back to competition!

Thanks guys!!
The brisket was dipped before being boxed. I did not notice the specks until I looked at the picture.

I am not sure what happened with the chicken judge:icon_smile_tongue: I have been trying a new way of doing chicken.

I was happy but know that I need more experiance. This was only my 2nd KCBS.

Welcome back!!!

Chicken - 8, thighs too dissimilar in size and sauce is too thick some places and not even.
Brisket - 8, take care in placing the slices so that they all look alike (amount showing), and 'clean up' the first slice.
Pork - 8, leaning toward a 7, but i'll give it to the cook - not crazy about the sauce on the back chunks, pulled pile looks dumped into the box without much thought or effort.

Don't know who or what that chicken judge was looking at, but re-education might be warranted!

Hi,
Welcome back. I cook more than I judge, so take the following as you wish. The first thing I noticed in all the pictures was how the meat seemed to sink into the parsley. My eyes were drawn to the parsley, not the meat. My suggestion would be to make sure the parsley beds are packed tight enough so that the meat sits on top of the parsley and not in the parsley.
(This should allow the meat to "pop")
The other thing that I noticed is that it appears the brisket slices are not uniform. It may help if you face all the slices the same direction. (And of course try for an even "fan" as mentioned earlier)For example, The rear slice is facing one way, and the second from the rear is flip flopped? If you face all your slices the same way, the box, in general will look more uniform.

Good Luck.

thanks for sharing, I'd rather see a pic instead of guess why someone's complaining about a score.. The chick 7 ..Beef same 7 not neat and pork 8.. I'd say the 5 was from a guy off the street or a new judge

Chicken needs to be trimmed neater and more even, sauce is uneven. Pork box needs more meat, sauce is uneven and more popitude is needed. Brisket slices need to be more uniform.

Not bad since 2008 was your last comp. Easy things to address!
Agreed

Parsley is cheap. Looks like you skimped and you can see white clam thru it. Pack it in their so the offering sits on top and pops. Practice painting on the sauce not globing it on. Paint a picture with it.

Back