View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL View Post
Looks pretty tasty! I don't have a Kamodo so I don't know if it is possible but if you can build a smaller fire and keep the temp down around 150 or lower this will cut down on the amount of albumin (egg white looking stuff) which will in turn make a more tender and juicer final product. In addition, if you can brine the salmon before hand and allow it to sit out on an elevated rack with a breeze or fan on it to develop a pellicle (shiny skin) prior to grilling it will also cut down on the amount of albumin coming out giving you an even moister finished product.

I'm sure it tasted pretty darn good but I have smoked a ton of Salmon and through trial and error have gotten pretty good at it.
Thank You BL for the input. I started out with a coffee can of Alder wood chips and a soldering iron. The iron wasn't hot enough to start the chips to smoke. So I the hit the chips with my MAP gas torch and got them ignited and added some saw dust. I had to abandon the trial and ended up using 1/2 a chimney of lump on top of some left over lump in the bottom of the Kamado. Itried to keep the temp down and added the Alder Chips only about ten slivers. It tasted awesome and I have a feeling that the Copper Creek is a much fattier salmon that farm raised product. Thanks again!
Jed