How wrong was I?

I once went on a Gordon Ramsey style rant in a restaurant when the server could not tell me what breed of cow was used to make the steak fajitas. How could you be in business and not know such simple things?

heh heh heh... What "breed of cow" indeed.
Jeezus!

FYI. Fajitas are made from one of the cheapest cuts of beef regardless of the breed.

I think this discussion shows what I heard on a local news spot the other night with regards to our society. We have become a much more demanding society. In the case of food and restaurants. We want/demand royalty type service or we throw temper tantrums either in the restaurant or on a review site such as Yelp or Urbanspoon. We want fine dining for fast food type prices. We want a top notch meal served in drive thru time.

I'm glad I don't own a restaurant or any type of vending/catering business. When we do tradeshows to push our products I see first hand how rude, crude and arrogant people are. It never fails. When we're sampling there's going to be those who feel the need to walk up to you and tell you why they like product "A" better than yours. Yet when you ask them have they even tried yours they answer "no". :crazy: Then you've got the arrogant health nuts who get upset because your product isn't "gluten free", "sugar free", "fat free", "calorie free" etc. Or the classic d-bag who makes it a point to walk up to you (having no intentions of sampling) just to let you know that "He makes his own bbq sauce" and yours isn't no where as good as his. Yet he's never tried yours and refuses to when you ask him to.

People can be very crude and it seems grocery stores and restaurants are the places where they feel they are obligated to be that way.
The internet has made it easy for people to do research and be more educated about things, and I think that's a good thing. I think we're losing our culture when you drive around cities and they all look the same, with the same chains restaurants, the same stores in the same old strip malls.

So, IMO, there's a good side to being demanding. It's awesome if people seek out restaurants that are local and not part of a chain, and demanding food or service that's better than average.

But, there's no excuse to be rude. It's a fine line. I wasn't there, so I can't comment on the original story. Ultimately, I just think it's okay to be a little snobby, but not to be rude or disrespectful.

If that is the case, then the owner of the restaurant doesn't have a proper training program in place. Nobody working in a restaurant should be interacting with diners unless they know how to talk to the diners about the food with knowledge and confidence.

CD

Disagree. Try to apply that same logic across all business sectors.

The internet has made it easy for people to do research and be more educated about things, and I think that's a good thing. I think we're losing our culture when you drive around cities and they all look the same, with the same chains restaurants, the same stores in the same old strip malls.

So, IMO, there's a good side to being demanding. It's awesome if people seek out restaurants that are local and not part of a chain, and demanding food or service that's better than average.

But, there's no excuse to be rude. It's a fine line. I wasn't there, so I can't comment on the original story. Ultimately, I just think it's okay to be a little snobby, but not to be rude or disrespectful.

I have no issue with wanting diversity in choices. I'd hate to know that my city only had Mexican restaurants and nothing else. But at the same time there are reasonable demands and there are idiotic ones. Our society seems to have forgotten the difference between the two.

Just a couple points to think about.

1. Did that place sell bad Q, or some of the best tasting stuff around? (You don't know....do you.)

2. Do you leave a grocery store because the cashier doesn't know where the produce is grown?

3. Have you changed banks because a teller couldn't tell you how they keep your money safe from cyber criminals, or how the safe is constructed?

4. Do you refuse to buy gas at stations that the cashier can't tell you what additives are in the gas?

5. I've eaten some pretty dang good food, at places that I was surprised every time the waitress found her way to the kitchen. Hahaha.

Sometimes you have got to roll the dice and hope for the best. You may not like it or you may love it, but you won't know without ordering it as they serve it. My 2 cents.

If the OP is such a great pitmaster and expects everyone to know what part of the brisket they're serving etc.

Why cant he look at it and identify what part of the brisket it is himself?

I feel you on this.

I have some road eating rules I have developed over the years of travel, and my worst experiences come when I violate them. Here are some of the ones concerning BBQ:

If I can't smell or see smoke coming from the place, or
If they boil their ribs, or
If I can't see the smoke ring, or
If the sauce replaces the smoke ring,

Then that place will either not be visited, or if I do visit it, will not warrant a return trip. I am not a snob, but I have the right to spend my hard-earned money on a quality product. Life is too short to waste on bad food.

So you say he offered you a taste but you don't say if you took him up on it and if so if it was any good.

If you tried it and didn't like it, then good for you for not ordering more. If you didn't try it and didn't order simply because he didn't know if it was flat or point, then that's on you.

I would have tried it just to see if they were doing some thing that I could pick up on to improve my own product. I think that looking past the end of your nose more often and getting the chip off of your shoulder could help you in more ways than cooking technique and flavor profiles.

Some of the best BBQ and other types of food I have ever had has been from very unexpected establishments that didn't seem to have much more of a clue other than simply cooking and serving.

Heck, I bet many of the old timers that I have eaten the offerings from couldn't tell me much about the in's and out's of every part of a whole hog, but they sure could cook it to melt in your mouth perfection...and I gladly ate it with no questions asked!!!

We watch too many farking food shows , it aint, like the end of the world if you eat bad BBQ.

yeah, we also will cook in a drum with charcoal and a few wood chips and swear that real bbq

we act like not up to par bbq is awful and inedible yet will scarf down fast food, applebees, or subway regularly.

And I can also eat a steak from III Forks or Ruth's Chris or the Metropolitan Grill or the Chicago Chop House when I could cook one at home for 1/10 the price (but not the flavor).....

...it's about choice

Real BBQ-

Pot of boiling water

Slab of ribs

K.C. Masterpiece Original BBQ Sauce

Place ribs in boiling water until done

Plate.

Apply liberal layers of KC Masterpiece and BAM!!!!! REAL BBQ!!!!!!!!!!

Now why'd you have to go hate'n on mustard??

Last edited:
Back