First Comp test run at home

My briskets and butts are typically out of the cooker and in the Cambro resting by 9:00. For me, ribs and chicken are just-in-time cooks, meaning they go from the cooker into the box, no rest.

Thank you for that bit, thats awesome to know. So butts and briskets can sit... Do you un cover them in the cambro to stop the cooking?

I'd like to only cook on a single 22 and getting that note of have the brisket and pork done and resting before 9. Do you think that starting the ribs and chicken right when you pull the brisket and pork off is a enough time if I have them pulled at 830-845 ish?

I'd like to only cook on a single 22 and getting that note of have the brisket and pork done and resting before 9. Do you think that starting the ribs and chicken right when you pull the brisket and pork off is a enough time if I have them pulled at 830-845 ish?

Assuming you are doing a KCBS contest, that might be a stretch. I guess it depends on quickly you cook your ribs. If your ribs go on at 830, that would be real tight time wise with a 1230 turn in. Subtract 15 minutes for boxing and walking to the turn in table. Since you want to only use one cooker, you will have the lid off at least twice for your chicken while the ribs are cooking, again slowing down your rib cook. I would look to have my large cuts off by 700ish. Let them cool slightly to prevent after cooking in the Cambro. FWIW, I have held both chicken and ribs, you are better of having your stuff done 15 minutes early, then 30 seconds late.

Thats more than enough time for chicken, but I don't think you'll get ribs cooked in that amount of time, especially if you're cooking spares!

How early can I have mt brisket and pork off, realistically? I would imagine they can only sit around in the cambro so long and of course always above 140

I can take two cookers, 22 and a 18. It looks like if there really isn't an issue with pulling brisket and pork off then putting the ribs on then chicken

Realistically, I would consider using two cookers, so as not to crowd your timeline. WSM's don't have that much cook space to cook and overlap times on 4 meats!

If you can take both the 18 and the 22, do. It will make your contest so much less of a headache. The ribs can then cook undisturbed on the 22, and the 18 has plenty of room for chicken. We usually do 16 thighs on an 18" WSM.

Also, if one of your long meats runs over, you can set up the 18 as an oven to finish it and not screw up your rib start time. The long meat should be done and resting long before you need the 18 for the chicken.

How are you transporting them? do you have it altogether and run a strap around it from top to bottom to keep it in one piece?

How are you transporting them? do you have it altogether and run a strap around it from top to bottom to keep it in one piece?
In the past, we broke them down and carried them in a mini-van. You may need to invert the lids. I would also remove the grates from both cookers, and tie wrap them tightly together. Otherwise, the rattling will drive you nuts going down the road. Use the empty WSM shells to store charcoal, paper towels etc if space is an issue.

J, when i cooked a couple events on 1 WSM i had the big meats off by 7AM. clean out the bowl, reload with fresh charcoal and ribs on by 7:30A.

it's been a few years since i ran that program, but i think i put brisket on @ 8P, and pork @ 1A(wrapping the brisket at the same time and go to bed for 5 hours.

i'd get up @ 6A and wrap the butts and check temps.

again, it's been a while so those are general timelines. if i was a better cook at the time, it probably would've worked out OK with some tweaking, but i was just starting .

now i cook on two WSM's and the big meats can cook as long as they need, but i'm always sure to give myself enough time to have them done by 10A and resting.

I made all my times, the meat was good. I learned a lot.....a lot. It was good to cook it over night. All of the advice you folks have given is spot on.

I will be moving up my cooking start times for Brisket and Pork, I'm going shoot to have the big meats done at/by 7-8 and move on to Chicken and Ribs.

As for Ribs and Chicken I will aim to have them done and boxed at the very front of turn in time to allow some buffer of error.

Yeah I was sleeping :)

Back