Tchurst, was there some reason to pull at 170? You might try going to about 195 ish so you can do pulled pork to see if you like it. Just a thought bro.

Finally finished my first UDS, made almost entirely of salvaged parts from a sunbeam 22" grill and a Brinkmann 16" smoker. Here it is, Ugly never looked so good! :p

Since I used the bottom part of the grill my firebox sits flush with the bottom of the barrel. I've got 2 racks in now, one about 2 inches from the top and another at 10".

The Burnout
DSCF1466.jpg

Hawaiian Tiki UDS...
DSCF1469.jpg

Finished!
DSCF1471.jpg

Little of the blue goodness! UDS is shut down completely here and holding strong at 250. Plenty of head room to go up but I sure hope temps don't spike on me. Used about 10lbs of lump for my first try. Temp therm. until I get a 4" one ordered.
DSCF1473.jpg

And of course, the test subjects.
IMG_0088.jpg

Thanks to this thread, I built myself a UDS over the weekend:

CIMG0208.jpg

CIMG0205.jpg

Still need to find a solution for the exhaust, and I'd like to find way to get it up on some wheels.

Unfortunately, I will have to wait till this weekend before I can break it in.

Some great lookin' work, brethren!

Here is my solution to temp control problems. I found that wind blowing around the inlet really impacted temps in my UDS. I started putting a charcoal chimney in front of the inlet and problems solved. I am getting long cooks with rock steady temps and even having fuel left over after a 6 hour cook. This pic is with the inlet wide open as I am bringing the UDS up to temp and developing clear/blue smoke before the meat goes on.

picture.php

My UDS is done awaiting its maiden voyage this coming weekend. I got two drums from a local pharmaceutical (capsule) manufacturer. It had a reddish sprayed in liner that burned off (well, mostly) after my burn out. Cost me $15 each and they're cherry.

Is this overill or what?! Hehehehehehehe, UDS is the best design ever, you get the best of both worlds! Just sayin..............

Found a lid...............:)-

At a garage sale for $2.:clap2: Guy had a lot of junk and some overpriced stuff; after looking around I Thought(bad habit) why not ask if he's got an old lid.
By golly , he said he didn't think it was worthwhile:crazy:.So now...
I have the drum(blasted out by a friend),now I can start the build:becky:
Get these old bones doing something.May take me a week or two,but:thumb:.
I'll get shots of it (if my oldtimers doesn't kick in).:confused:
So now I have 5 smokers, and the Wife...:drama:
Have fun and,

I don't have the tools right now to build my own however I found a UDS this past weekend on Craigslist. Since my b-day is this month the wife said go ahead and grab it :clap2: When I picked it up it was already 4 in the afternoon so I didn't have much time but I had to try it out so we grabbed some chicken wings from Target....below are the picks...go easy this was my very first attempt at smoking :pray:

30239_615845933046_39502952_35562756_3496374_n.jpg

30239_615845923066_39502952_35562754_201782_n.jpg

30239_615845972966_39502952_35562761_5043266_n.jpg

I could not believe how juicy they turned out! They are not the highest quality of meat but they tasted amazing...the pic above is before the bbq sauce was added. I have a Maverick on the way and once that arrives I will be trying a long rib/brisket smoke!!:becky:

Congrats on the new UDS. You will love it. Nice lookin' chicken! I'd take a couple of drumsticks w/o sauce, please. :)

Burnmac 42- nice looking drum. My daughter likes the color and I like the large intake. The only problem with the high intakes is they can be a little temperamental in dialing in a temp. When you adjust your temps just be gentle with the adjustment and give it time to adjust. You are about to have some good eating:-D

Burnmac 42- nice looking drum. My daughter likes the color and I like the large intake. The only problem with the high intakes is they can be a little temperamental in dialing in a temp. When you adjust your temps just be gentle with the adjustment and give it time to adjust. You are about to have some good eating:-D

Maybe the guy that built it designed the high intake for the high altitude in UT:becky:

Burnmac - looks great.
My only suggestion is to lower that ball valve down below the lid of the UDS. Having your intake up to the same level as your exhaust (or higher than exhaust) is not a good idea.

I have updated the template I used in construction of my DrumPit and would like to share it with y'all...It's in PDF Format...I found it handy to have and use....

View attachment 41275

The File, once downloaded should look like this....
View attachment 41276

Full Scale measures 25"x25"
If you own a Postscript Printer you can tile print it at 100% scale and tape the pages
together, if not, you can take the file to a Print Service Bureau that has Large Format Capability
and have it printed and laminated.

This link shows how I used the template for layout of the holes to drill...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=415743&postcount=62

Worked Great!

Not sure I used it right, but with two active children at my feet , the tape and a measuring tape were the closest things to me.
85412855.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys..KSims I will look into lowering the intake once I get the chance....I put some wheels on it the other night to make it easier to move around....dong ribs for a buddy's going away this weekend and really looking forward to cooking on ti again! Plan on doing 4 racks of Memphis ribs...was planning to do 225 for roughly 4 hours....2.5 smoked and 1.5 foiled....sound about right?

Back