• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Basic Brisket Tutorial (pron heavy)

Speaking for myself...of course....
I'm thinking he had a drip pan under the meat while smoking it. Just before the pic was taken, he poured the liquid over the top.

Bingo! I followed the tutorial almost exactly. The brisket was very tender and moist; had a hard time slicing because it was so tender. I brushed the drippings over the slices before the pic. I didn't trim fat at all and had fat cap up.

I'll be doing my second brisket this weekend and came back to this thread for a refresher.
It's such a great thread, I wish I could "thank" it twice.

Thanks for the tutorial. I'll be smoking my 2nd brisket ever for Christmas and this will definitely help!

This is going to be my go to thread on Christmas Day. I will be smoking my first brisket ever on my UDS. I plan on buying it this weekend probably in Sunday. It should be ok in the fridge until cook day right?

Thanks so much. The best ever. It is nice to have all the info in one post. Instead of piecemeal a lot of info from many posts. Again thanks so much.

This is going to be my go to thread on Christmas Day. I will be smoking my first brisket ever on my UDS. I plan on buying it this weekend probably in Sunday. It should be ok in the fridge until cook day right?

Buy on 22nd, cook on 25th?
Yea, you'll be fine.
Just check the date....just in case it isn't close to its sale date.

Also (and I hope nobody minds if I put this here, please delete if inappropriate)
I love the "BBQ with Franklin" videos. The guy definitely knows his way around a brisket.
He's got over a dozen videos, here are two about prepping a brisket and cooking a brisket.

Prep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

Cooking;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU

Grab a glass of beverage and enjoy the videos. Hope it helps you as much as it does me.

This post was used to cook my first brisket, on a Weber Kettle. I was not ready, as far as my BBQ skillz are concerned, but I bought the meat so the die was cast.

That brisket was really good, I mean really good! I have subsequently cooked 2 more briskets, trying different techniques such as wrapping and such, and neither would compare to the bigabyte brisket.

I would unquestionably reccomend this tutorial to any neophyte brisket smoker, and Thanks again bigabyte, you rocked the table!

Thanks alot for the infor. I am really excited to try my first brisket on my pellet pooper

This was a perfect way to make a tutorial. I just hate that I can't find choice beef in this town. I am going to try a select brisket in the BGE this weekend.

Wow! I learned a lot from this.
Question: OK, you leave the fat cap on, but do you cut out the heavy hunk of fat that seems always to accompany the brisket?

I actually trim all the fat off my briskets, particularly Prime briskets. In this tutorial I left it untrimmed because I was bypassing all unnecessary steps in order to make it as simple as possible.

My recommendation for those who want to trim but leave some fat on is to trim all of the hard fat off as much as possible, or as much as they are comfortable with

Back