Is BBQ'ing the manly thing to do?

I'm trying to think of the right word....Men instinctively are attracted to fire and cooking...grunting and such as it's more of a primal thing. That said Jeanie could cook circles around most of us.

I learned to grill from my dad. Everything else I know about cooking I learned from my mother and grandmother. Cooking in a covered cooker is in effect using a wood-fired oven, which means the women in my life taught me to BBQ.
Just for interest, here is a site run by women.
"Girls at the Grill"
http://www.girlsatthegrill.com/

That is like saying women should be doing the inside house work (dishes, vacuuming, etc) while men do the outside work (lawnwork, power washing, etc)

Who cares what gender you are for what role you fill in the household. One of my friend's wife enjoys doing the grilling and lawn work, while he prefers doing the laundry and dishes. Whatever works for them.

aawa sumes it up for this household . By the way when she cooks i clean up and when i cook she cleans up. Wooks for us

Honestly, I think many times it's the way men can cook for their families and friends.

I'm in no way saying we can't cook indoors, but it seems more like a cultural thing.
Plus we all like playing with fire don't we?

did someone say fire?

I learned to cook back in high school. Dad had went back to college and had a long commute so we would be on our own for a week at a time. He always left us enough money to eat out on. After a few weeks of that, it got really old. I figured out it was cheaper to cook, and I could pocket some cash in the process so I learned to cook. a lot of inedible crap was made during that time.

my wife is a great cook in her own right, but I usually cook most nights. It is something I have always enjoyed, regardless of indoors or outdoors.

I cook a lot of BBQ, and usually end up giving a good portion to the neighbors or family. I really enjoy watching the joy on there face, and hearing the positive feedback on my cooking. BUT I also want to hear the bad as well, so I can improve my skills, or a recipe I am working on.

I have had several requests for catering, something that is beyond my ability and experience at the moment, but it does make me wonder if I could pull it off.

You all are missing the point. Females tend to be much craftier then us men, letting us think we do a much better job at cooking, by stroking our egos. Does not take much to get us pumped up ya know, therefore we do most of it.

Now in my house my wife does laundry, and will not even consider me doing it, because I have at least out crafted her, in that department, and let her think she does that best. Granted a few items first had to be ruined by me. :roll:
Dave

I BBQ, and my boyfriend usually does hte laundry :)

I think it is a primal thing with men. Getting dirty, playing with fire and getting fed. Only one thing missing and that comes later if you feed the mate right.

My wife used to be the "BBQ" person since I was never home to cook. She used a gasser and did pretty good at it. I retired and took over the task. 2 or so years ago, I got rid of the gasser and got a MAK pellet grill. We both love it and do our thing. She likes it a lot better because of the heat distribution and I like it because her BBQ is a lot better.... :-D

One of the great disappointments of my marriage is that the SoDT does not share in my passion for outdoor cooking.

my wife could not care less about cooking, so I do all the cooking, inside or outside. She will bake though and she handles the cleanup. She likes when I grill or bbq as it's less mess.

When we first got married I did ALL the cooking, inside or out. Mostly because in Al's house growing up his mom did all the cooking and he never learned how.
As the years went by, he started working with me more and more, and now it's something we do together. I still do the majority of the cooking, but he can hold his own. When we have company and I do the cooking, he does all the clean up. It's all about team work at the Big Al/LMAJ household.

This question for me reminds me how my dad used to tell me men shouldn't quilt or sew or like to craft like I did. That making my own Halloween costume wasn't manly. I was mocked for loving to cook by my dad. But I loved to cook and by the time i was 12 I did almost all the cooking for my family. when I went to a friends house they ordered pizza. My mom still hasn't progressed past boxed Mac n cheese and misses my from scratch cooking.

My 6 year old daughter loves the smell of BBQ and loves chewing fat fresh off anything smoked as it's her favorite part, she knows how to run the drum as well as I do she just isn't tall enough to get to the top without help, and I say to hell with anyone who thinks I'm teaching her to be manly

I find this article / video very appropriate to this discussion about something being "manly"
http://www.upworthy.com/theres-some...-what-we-do-to-boys-before-they-grow-into-men

This question for me reminds me how my dad used to tell me men shouldn't quilt or sew or like to craft like I did. That making my own Halloween costume wasn't manly. I was mocked for loving to cook by my dad. But I loved to cook and by the time i was 12 I did almost all the cooking for my family. when I went to a friends house they ordered pizza. My mom still hasn't progressed past boxed Mac n cheese and misses my from scratch cooking.

My 6 year old daughter loves the smell of BBQ and loves chewing fat fresh off anything smoked as it's her favorite part, she knows how to run the drum as well as I do she just isn't tall enough to get to the top without help, and I say to hell with anyone who thinks I'm teaching her to be manly

I find this article / video very appropriate to this discussion about something being "manly"
http://www.upworthy.com/theres-some...-what-we-do-to-boys-before-they-grow-into-men

That sucks that your dad mocked you for wanting to do crafts and cook because they weren't "manly". Life skills such as cooking, sewing (at least be able to sew your own buttons and hem your own pants shouldn't be mocked. They are skills that will help you through life and i would think considered necessary.

And to those that think that you shouldn't teach your daughter to do "manly" things. Any quality time that you spend with your children is special. Who cares what you guys do as long as it is quality time. When she grows older she will remember the activities you too did together. You could play doll house tea-party with her, or wrench some gears, or bbq with her, she will always love the memories of what you bonded over.

That sucks that your dad mocked you for wanting to do crafts and cook because they weren't "manly". Life skills such as cooking, sewing (at least be able to sew your own buttons and hem your own pants shouldn't be mocked. They are skills that will help you through life and i would think considered necessary.

And to those that think that you shouldn't teach your daughter to do "manly" things. Any quality time that you spend with your children is special. Who cares what you guys do as long as it is quality time. When she grows older she will remember the activities you too did together. You could play doll house tea-party with her, or wrench some gears, or bbq with her, she will always love the memories of what you bonded over.

The Point I was trying to make is that it is just as insulting to say something is manly as it is to say something isn't, defining something as masculine carries with it the implication that a man who doesn't do that activity is less of a man. or someone who does is more of a man.

I bbq because I like the flavor and texture and the smell of smoke, to me it is just another tool to cook with, like an oven or a frying pan. this is why I like my UDS so much, I just start it up and let it go, it is a well calibrated tool.

I don't feel like more of a man because I use fire to turn meat into food though.

I am a guy, married with kids and luv my hot tub in the evening, bubbles ROCK. Also, I have had my ass handed to me plenty of times by women who q' thus my opinion is simply bbq cuz u like, take bubble baths if you like and drink pina coldadas too. If your worried about roles then your going to make an assumption that makes a .... out of yourself. Just ask my wife.

Back