• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Venders ~ Do you cook on or off site?

Just BS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was at a street fair over the weekend and there was BBQ Food Truck there at 9 a.m. and it was all closed up. I figured that they were most likely BBQ'ing off site, which may be more practical, but really doesn't "sell" the true BBQ experience. Then again, I'm in California where the average person has no idea what BBQ is.

Anyways, isn't the smell of smoke the best marketing tool for a BBQ vendor or am I way of base?

As an eater of BBQ, it's what attracts me! In fact, you can call it BBQ, but if I don't see or smell smoke, I do a 180 and go somewhere else.

Maybe C. Rocke will weigh in here. He runs some food trucks in SoCal.

In California, and many other states, other than cooking for direct sale, you have to commissary the food. So, for a food such as BBQ, that takes a long time to cook, and then is held on the truck at safe serving temperatures, you are cooking it off-site. Many will cook through the night, then fire up the smoker and reheat on it, as that still gets the smoke rolling, minus the having to be there cooking on site.

I got a pp sandwich off a vendor at a recent soccer tournament and asked where his smoker was? he said he smoked off site with a southern pride. Walked around back and I seen the empty boxes of GFS pp. He allready got my money so I just had to laugh and move on:doh:

I have a roadside stand that's open 4 days a week. I cook pork buts and beef every night in my FE-100 at my home (approved, licensed and inspected commissary). I put the ribs on the cooker at 5am. At around 8 I remove the butts and beef to the Cambro and bring the ribs to be finished on my Lang at the site. at 9 I put the chicken on the Lang at 10 the hot dogs. Beans are heated in the Lang warmer.

I live about 10 minutes from my spot so most days I go up around 7 to light the Lang and start to set up the stand. Everyone comments on the smell but I cant smell it.

I've read that before. Is it a joke or are you serious?

Its marketing and self advertising. Yes if you have a big catchy sign you will attract more people to your site. Its like any business, better marketing, better bottom line. Does a bug sign make the best bbq, not always, but big sign does not mean bad bbq. I have a big sign and people enjoy my bbq.

Back