Brisket flat on top and Pork Butt on bottom?

twisterbret

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm cooking a brisket flat and 2 pork butts tomorrow in a Backwoods Party. (Vertical smoker). Should I place the brisket above or below the butts? Will one juice effect the others taste? I will be wrapping the flat at 165. Maybe swap once I wrap the brisket?

Thanks

put the butts on top you might want to reseason when you wrap the brisket.

I generally don't like putting pork over anything but pork (the same goes for chicken).

I would put the flat over the butts for 2 basic reasons: One, there is less of a chance of cross contamination this way and two, the flavor of my brisket rub is milder than that of My pork butts. (But reason 1 is the big one.)

I cook my briskets in a separate cooker all together than any of my pork products..... but that is because I am allergic to pork, and this way I don't cross contaminate my brisket and chicken...

I eat the brisket and chicken, and the rest of the family eat it all..... :eek: I really miss the ribs, pulled pork, chops, ham, sausage, etc.... :evil:

I just put the butts on top because they usually finish faster than the brisket by a few hours. With a flat....I'd actually put the beef over the pork. Just wanted to throw a stick in the wheels I guess.

Bacon on top of a burger, applies the same in this theory with the butts on top.

I cook my briskets in a separate cooker all together than any of my pork products..... but that is because I am allergic to pork, and this way I don't cross contaminate my brisket and chicken...

I eat the brisket and chicken, and the rest of the family eat it all..... :eek: I really miss the ribs, pulled pork, chops, ham, sausage, etc.... :evil:

I agree... Like I said, I don't like putting Pork over anything but Pork... If you have a second cooker, use it... JMHO

I went with Brisket on top. I'm not sure how anything would be contaminated ...since I'm cooking to a good temp..unless we are speaking taste only? In my mind the Brisket puts out less juice ..and I wrapped it at 165 in any case. It's in the cooler resting now. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I agree... Like I said, I don't like putting Pork over anything but Pork... If you have a second cooker, use it... JMHO

Just another fun thing with being allergic to pork... I have to carry/use 2 of everything.... and lots of gloves, and soap....:rolleyes:

And that also gives the competition a better edge of winning... but I still have a great time trying.....:biggrin:

Back