Is there certain type of food sealer y'all recommend?

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know many of you seal and freeze Q but have also read that a good one is going to be a bit expensive. Can anyone give me the name brands, maybe some links to some y'all recommend and have had experience with?

Thanks in advance.

The "heavy hitters" (pros) seem 2 use Food Saver brand. U may still be able to get the hand-held @ 3.86 w free freight and it depends on what you want to vac seal. Bigger items will take a bigger unit. I like the zip lock brand of vac bags because they r cheaper than Food Saver but if ur vacuum packing big stuff, Food Saver has a pkg 4 u.

Has anybody tried the Foodsaver Handheld unit? It can be had for around $3.86 shipped (exact price depends upon your state sales tax)

Is this one of those give you the razor to sell you blades kinda deal with the special food saver bags? Reviews from anyone that has one would be nice.

Link
http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.asp...J&CJ_ID=361116

Add to cart $19.99 ea.
Input promo code J0FV85FS drops the unit price to $3.60 plus sales tax and free shipping.

I've had a small Food Saver for years, I love it and hope someone gives me the big one for Xmas.

All of the home clamp type sealers are poor because they don't deal well with moist/wet foods or liquids like sauces or soup. Due to the bag being exposed to atmospheric pressure while air is being removed from it...

Good vacuum sealers are the chamber type but the cheapest ones are about $1200, take up a lot of space, and a low end one will have a small chamber.

If you want one for your home use, Food Saver. I've had one for over 6 years, use it all the time with no issues.

This is the one I use. It will do up to a 15" wide bag. Built to last.

Last edited:
That is the pro 2300 and yes, it looks like a good one, I have the cabella's cg15, will look very similar to the pro2300, and I think the 2300 may be a bit better, but the cg15 was a gift from the little woman, to save me from throwing a food saver through the window.

I have had good luck with it so far, and I can do the 15 inch bags as well, that means a entire brisket if your inclined.

After I joined here and started reading about how everyone loves theirs, I thought it might be a good Christmas gift. I was willing to go all out and get one of the new stand-up $150 - $200 Foodsaver ones. But, I've read some bad reviews about the new stand-up design. So, now I'm not sure. I might just get a cheap hand-held unit and see if that does enough for me and live in ignorant bliss of all the advantages of the $200 units.

I have had good luck with it so far, and I can do the 15 inch bags as well, that means a entire brisket if your inclined.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. And small whole turkeys as well as whole hams and whole pork butts.

After I joined here and started reading about how everyone loves theirs, I thought it might be a good Christmas gift. I was willing to go all out and get one of the new stand-up $150 - $200 Foodsaver ones. But, I've read some bad reviews about the new stand-up design. So, now I'm not sure. I might just get a cheap hand-held unit and see if that does enough for me and live in ignorant bliss of all the advantages of the $200 units.

Don't be afraid of the stand up from Food Saver. I've had mine for 2 years and it is great. It gets used a lot with wildgame and bbqing.

Back