• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pool Filter first cook 10/1

TysDad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here is the almost completed stainless pool filter cooker. One 3/4" close nipple and one 3/4" ball valve. I still need to make some sort of stabilizers. I wanted to see if the base even got hot during a cook first, though...and I can still hold my hand on it when the grate temp is 350 with the vent and valve wide open.
CIMG0929003.jpg

8 - 1/2" holes. 1/4" NPT cap for the pressure gauge fitting. Stainless drawer handles. They get too warm to grab gloveless, though. I need to buy a thermometer.
CIMG0933004.jpg

I had to block off the 2 3/4" plumbing fixture hole in the side. High temp silicone gasket. I used two 4" round stainless plumbing blockoff plates bolted together to close up the plumbing hole in the bottom center - under the coals. I didn't gasket that yet and may not have to.
CIMG0939008.jpg

The charcoal basket is expanded metal and Weber charcoal grate stitched together with stainless safety wire. The grill is 23 1/4" from the bottom.
CIMG0956010.jpg

It's stainless and scrubbed, washed and rinsed so no burnout was necessary...at least I didn't think so.
London Broil
CIMG0928002.jpg

CIMG0958011.jpg

CIMG0961012.jpg

I only put one chimney full unlit K and about 3/4 of one lit in at about 4pm, cooked from 5 to 6 with the temp hovering at 250 or so, and finally closed off the air vents at 10:30pm with the grill temp at 220. I guess that a full charcoal basket will go a long, long time. I'll need to figure out a jiggle rod...maybe through the air vent nipple...and an ash pan.

Next are stabilizers....but that will be on another thread after I draw up some ideas.

Thanks to all here that contributed ideas whether they knew it or not!

All the best,

Looks good! I have the same (not really a problem) of having a ton of coal left when you do a cook.

I loaded my smoker all the way up last weekend with 2 doz whole wings, 14 chicken legs, and 4 breasts. I ran it 12 hours, shut down the valves and checked it to find about 1/3 of the coals still intact. Looks like I will be able to go at least 16 hours.

Can I make a sugestion to check around at Lowes in the hardware section for some nice SS knobs or handles to help you with the lid lift. I would suggest a handle on the top but not the hottest part which would be the top center.

Nice vision for that filter! You are like me always thinking of what you could make a smoker out of.

That thing is awesome, I have never have seen a cooker made from a pool filter. Definitely brethern innovation at its finest, good job.

One mans junk is.........:rolleyes:
That is awesome! Are you going with rocket fins?

Paul

Very nice! The London broils look tasty too!

UDS's are really versatile, and something you might consider down the road is a small charcoal ring for short cooks.

100_1646.jpg

100_1645.jpg

100_1718.jpg

This one holds about a Weber chimney worth of lump or briq and it has lasted as long as 6+ hours at 225*, more than enough to cook ribs, whole chicken etc. Works just as efficient without using a lot of fuel.

Looks like you did a great job on it. It should really tranfer heat good and be easy to clean.

looks cool very nice whats the cost of that bad boy after you are all said and done

....what's the cost of that bad boy after you are all said and done

Including the tools I just had to buy --- weed burner, step drill set, new cordless drill since I finally broke the transmission in the one I had?

Not including tools.. $75 ish

The small charcoal basket is a great idea! I made this one farking huge
CIMG0975001.jpg

The no feet version is, I think, DrKY's idea? It saves drilling three more holes or buying the stainless bolts/washers/nuts. I was lazy and didn't cut the 12" wide piece of expando down shorter, so it will hold a serious pile of charcoal (417.8 ci for all you engineers). A smaller cylinder to go into this one is perfect...THANKS!!!!

The handles on the lid are stainless drawer handles. The lid is pretty heavy -- it's 11.5" tall. At this point I don't mind using gloves when I remove the lid. I mounted two of them 180 apart for maximum control. The tall lid will make it easy for the Thanksgiving turkey, that's for sure. I will need to make a second tier food grill to sit on top of the first one to maximize the cooking potential.

Stabilizers. Rocket fins, Bomb fins, Booster rockets, a flat plate, cross bars, L brackets, etc. I have an engineer friend who works at Stadco (http://www.stadco.com) and is coming over for something cooked on the smoker next Thursday evening. I am sort of hoping that he will weigh in on what will look good --- and maybe contribute some metal to the project. You'll definitely see another thread with ideas ---a poll maybe? Whatever they are, I don't want it to look like I was trying to emulate the guy that tried to make his smoker look like a helicopter. I don't want to be made fun of ....and yet still have it be fun. A very fine line, don't you think?

500lbbomb.jpg
ClusterBomb.jpg
V2.jpg
Surfboardfin.jpg
DisneyRocket.jpg
Thunderbird3.jpg
VulcanEnergia.jpg

I also made a full custom smoker cover for it. I worked really, really hard on this one. There are supposed to be showers here tomorrow and I sure don't want it to get wet.
CIMG0973002.jpg

Nice cover! If you could make some more cheaply enough, you could use them to pick up little things that have fallen around the yard. You know, leaves and twigs and such. Just an idea.

I like the idea of making the smoker "look like" something. You've addressed the functional part, now adding some bling/style would be most excellent.

Back