drum smokers under construction

Wow, I need to score me a drum. I got the itch to put my grinder and stick welder to work.
So all you use for intake on these bad boys is ball valves? If I was able to score some Weber type lid vents, do you think I could put a couple of them on the bottom and top of the drum and then put legs on it to lift it up off the ground and allow for air flow to those bottom vents that they would work?
I think I can also raid my FIL's scrap heap for the expanded metal too.

I found a place that sells new and used drums. New-$45 and used $27.50. It's 'bout an hours drive, so factor in fuel and it will be cheaper for me to scrounge one up locally. I have my ways!!
I will be checking out that tutorial!!

I used ball valves because it was easy to find here. You can just drill holes and put magnets on top to control the air, or use black pipe with caps screwed on, etc. You can really use almost anything to let air in, as long as you can control it.

I just spoke with the Line-X dealer in Des Moines, they said the White barrels should be ok to use as smokers, but they wouldn't use the yellow barrels since they contained a harsh chemical. the white barrels have a removable lid with a ring. So they would be perfect. I asked what they charge for them, they said to just come pick them up in the back. So I may grab one or ten.

great looking project. How easy are they to use. Are they easy to get meat out of and how many shelves do you install in the drum

I just spoke with the Line-X dealer in Des Moines, they said the White barrels should be ok to use as smokers, but they wouldn't use the yellow barrels since they contained a harsh chemical. the white barrels have a removable lid with a ring. So they would be perfect. I asked what they charge for them, they said to just come pick them up in the back. So I may grab one or ten.

I got mine from Line-x. Works great.

B

Back