BGE: Ribs!

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Everyone likes ribs! Let's do some baby backs!

I started with some decent racks, washed them, dried them, pulled the membrane, trimmed the fat and rubbed them down. I put them in a giant ziplock bag and into the fridge overnight while my butt cooked.
IMG_0934.jpg

I threw them on the Egg at about 12:30 PST and will check the bark at 2:30 to see if they're ready to foil.
IMG_0991.jpg

Stay tuned... :clap2:

Pulled them from the Egg after the bark setup a bit. It was 2:15 into the cook.
IMG_0994.jpg

Prepped for foiling.
IMG_0995.jpg

Foiled!
IMG_0998.jpg

All done. This was the first time that I used Harry's technique. I think they came out really good, but I didn't get a smoke ring. This is either an Egg issue, as I've been told, or I have some learning to do; probably a bit of both. I think it's clear that I'm going to get better smoke from my WSM, and that's where I'm going to do my next rack. I've never missed a smoke ring on the WSM. That's not to say that I have a problem with the Egg. It's a fine cooker and I've been cooking on it for 24 hours with great success all the way around.

Harry's technique puts out some sweet ribs, and I didn't get enough smoke on them to balance that out. Next time I'm going to go slightly lighter on the sweet and shoot for a nice ring on the WSM.

These ribs have not been sauced yet:
IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

Last edited:
You have to love ribs! Put a drip pan under your ribs so you don't have to cook the fat off the plate setter. It will save you a ton of clean up time and frustration if you try to cook pizza after a cook like this.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. So much to learn about my Egg. :)

I cover the platesetter with foil and then make a drip catcher with another piece of foil. Easypeasy clean up.

Updated my original post with pics of my progress. They're cooking pretty fast at 275F. I'll check them in 1:15, which is 3.5 hours in. My guess is that they'll be done.

I'm going to glaze one rack with Everett and Jones and am seriously thinking about glazing a rack with Sweet Baby Rays. I've been tasting it and am not sure that I'm going to care for it, so we'll see.

Just updated my original with the final result. Good ribs, but not enough smoke out of the Egg. Thanks for checking out my dinner. Time to shut down the Egg after 24 consecutive hours of cooking.

Brisket tomorrow!

Pulled pork for lunch and ribs for dinner, I'd say that's a pretty good day. Looks like you are staying busy and learning lots. Everything looks good.

first, those ribs look great!!!!

i don't wrap my ribs, rather i use the "car wash mike" method. (i've posted a thread on here about them as i'm sure others have as well.)

are you putting your ribs on room temp or refrigerator cold?

Thanks deepsouth. I put them on right out of the fridge. I always get a killer ring on my WSM. The Egg isn't making enough smoke. I need to figure that out.

I'm going to go research "car wash mike" and see what that's about. :D

Thanks deepsouth. I put them on right out of the fridge. I always get a killer ring on my WSM. The Egg isn't making enough smoke. I need to figure that out.

I'm going to go research "car wash mike" and see what that's about. :D

hmmmm..... that's what i do as well.....

what kind of lump are you using? check out the "naked whiz" website lump database and see if it may be your fuel??

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88303&highlight=car+wash+mike (here is the thread i posted)

I'm using BGE lump. Will probably switch to Wicked Good when I run out.

Tim at GreenLeaf said the BGE doesn't put out as much smoke because it's so efficient. Are people getting good rings off of Eggs?

What happened to poor CarWashMike?

I'm using BGE lump. Will probably switch to Wicked Good when I run out.

Tim at GreenLeaf said the BGE doesn't put out as much smoke because it's so efficient. Are people getting good rings off of Eggs?

What happened to poor CarWashMike?

i use wicked good for my long cooks and get great smoke rings. your ribs look great still. did you happen to get a pic of the ribs cut? they look like they would be delicious. had you not said you were disappointed, i never would have been able to tell.

No, I didn't take a pic because they were slightly overcooked and just brown all the way through. Nothing really to look at. The new process I used was fantastic - I just need to get more smoke on them.

No, I didn't take a pic because they were slightly overcooked and just brown all the way through. Nothing really to look at. The new process I used was fantastic - I just need to get more smoke on them.

right right. the ribs above are the new process right? because they look great.

Yeah, they're the process I learned at Harry Soo's class. Thanks for the kind words.

Those look and sound great!:cool: I'm so happy you have a new egg, keep the lovely pron coming!

Looking good, you will eventually get them fine tuned so they are perfect to your liking.

Back